Squirrels MIA?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Josh Smith, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Josh Smith

Josh Smith New Member

Hello,

This squirrel season I've not seen but one. I shot it.

Even in Wabash Town, where they usually thrive, they're not near as thick as previous years.

Been hearing the coyotes pretty close, but I've heard that before and it didn't really affect the squirrel population. (The rabbit population was a different story).

I almost wonder if there was a decrease in town and the woodland critters migrated that way for scraps.

Still plenty of deer, to the point I'm thinking of popping one or a few this year to thin the home herd.

Just the squirrels, and to a point, chipmunks, have disappeared.

I'm hoping for a light dusting of snow here soon so I can track with more certainty.

It's been unseasonably warm. It's near December and still reaching into the 60s some days, so I doubt it's a food issue. Good yield from the apple tree this year too. Plenty for the squirrel, deer, and whatever else.

Figure I'll start spreading food in a clearing to see what I can come up with. Help everything through the winter, too. As I teach part-time, I can come up with all sorts of stale biscuits and such from students who work at fast-food joints. The fat content and carbs should help all the critters through the winter.

But I'm off on a tangent.

Anyone know what's happening with the squirrels? Is this countywide, Indiana-wide, or nationwide?

I'd be interested in hearing from folks in Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, and Kentucky as well as Indiana.

Thanks!

Josh
  2. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Active Member

My Mom and Dad live in the hills over the ohio valley,next door to you.Theres lots of deer,wild turkeys. Now they have coyotes which didn't exist there that I heard of in the 70's when I was a kid.I havn't heard any talk of squirrels.
  3. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

Squirrel population has been in a decline for a few years..too many cats roaming around..one house cat will hunt and kill a squirrel a day..dont take long to thin the population in a town area that way...
  4. AAofLot19

AAofLot19 New Member

Josh,

I'm just south of you in Delaware Co. and havn't noticed a decline at all. They're everywhere. Reds and Grays. Even black squirrels in certain places.
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I think all your squirrels have moved over to my neighbors back yard. He feeds them daily and there is a crowd over there eating the freebees.

On trips to Hocking Co. to the shooting range I have noticed a great reduction in the turkey I normally see. They have only shown up one time on the game camera there at the range. On a recent trip to the Red River Gorge in eastern KY where I normally see a lot of turkey I didn't see a single one.

I am blaming it all on this fellow. You can see he doesn't give a hoot what I think and is peeing on my feeder station, ha.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  6. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

I still have a lot of squirrels, but got this pic from the back yard game camera. Cat sitting watching my corn pile and a fox came up.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  7. aandabooks

aandabooks Member

Seems like I just read this same thread on another board. I'm I getting confused?

We've been about average around here. I don't get out as much as I would like and I've been letting my 11 year old do most of the shooting.