SR1911 and SR556

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by 76Highboy, Feb 26, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The guns that I have are the ones that I hunt with and enjoy shooting. However I am one of those guys that enjoy the revolver. I have shot many semi auto pistols, and a few AR style rifles. However, I only own one semi auto XD45 which is a great pistol, and the rest of my handguns are SA & DA revolvers. I hunt a lot with my handguns and have never desired a semi auto for that because I don't like to stop and pick the bras up and brass to me is valuable because I reload. As far as long arms, I have what I use for hunting, but I do not own an AR of any type. Later this year I hope to buy two guns. The first will be a Ruger SR1911, and then a Ruger SR556. I am literally itching vervously because I can't wait to get them. My question to everybody here is what is your preference on your choice of 1911/AR type firearms. I have shot many, but I haven't used them day in and day out to see the pro's and con's. My rifle's consist of a Ruger 10/22, a lever action .22, a few bolt action rifles, and a couple of shotguns. Yes, I have deprived myself of an AR long enough.

Thanks,
    Jim
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Morning Jim, and good thoughts on good firearms!
    I too am thinking and have been for well over a year now, a 1911. Been beating myself
    up on "what" 1911 to buy. I like the Spingfield's but am at a point between the
    Springfield and a Spartin. Still in the 'air" on either.
    As far as AR's...I'm already sold on Stag Arms! Bought one a while back and couldnt
    be more pleased that I went with the Stag.
    The Ruger SR 5 5 6...he he...well Ive put some rounds down range on a number
    of occasions and the SR 556 does what it's supposed to do and then some from
    my experiance!
    My BIL bought a new one some time back and that's the one Ive used. Accurate
    as one could expect, but the price on it was what pushed me away from buying
    one. My Stag price total was "about" 1/2 of that of the Ruger and if it's the
    accuracy your after....IMO, the Stag hands down.
    Alot of people with alot of opinions and different "taste's" and it's all good.
    I use my AR for alot of target shooting and alot of long range shooting as far as
    I can push it for what it is. I also do alot of coyote hunting with it as well and
    couldnt be happier.
    I will say this though, once you get you an AR that your happy with (whatever
    brand you buy) you'll know what you've been missing all this time.

Some time after I bought my AR and got alot of range time in with it and the right
    scope and mounts on it for what I use it for...I think back and think..(dang, I had
    been missing out all this time)
    IMO, anyone that is into shooting should by all means, own an AR!
    I hope everyone jumps in on your thread and weighs in all the pro's and con's
    that they have to offer.
    Good luck on your decision process!
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

If i am not mistaken the Ruger ar is a piston driven rifle and comes with all those picatinny rails which add to the overall price.

Not sure if the stag is a piston driven ar. The ones i have seen in the past were not.

So anyone please correct me if i am wrong.

The piston driven ar types will keep the gun cooler under high rate of fire, which is a plus.

I dont have a piston driven ar nor do i think i will be getting one.

switching gears to the 1911's. I like the kimbers because of the bbls they use. The salesperson pointed out the feed ramp difference from some of the other 1911's I was looking at the time. I have a stainless trg mdl in 10mm. It is very nice and shoots extremly well. The trigger is awsome.

The only con to the kimber that i have found is that the stainless will rust if you use it in the rain or excessivly humid conditions. It is not a put on your side and forget about it pistol like a S&W stainless is. But i would buy another Kimber in a split second.
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Your right cyclone, the Ruger is piston and the Stag is the gas tube.
    And yes, The Ruger does come with the pricey picatinny rails that is
    standard.
    The Ruger also have the 3 position "piston" setting as well.
    (something that I havent a lot of experiance with)..or never used it
    with the differnt ammo as I only shot one type through it.
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I do know that my preference is the piston over the gas tube. It's heavier but to me that does not matter.