SR9 or M&P?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by phlmorgan, Apr 19, 2010.

1. phlmorgan

phlmorgan New Member

Alright, got a little extra money the other day (after I already sold my P-89 to get a new XDM, isnt that the way it goes:(.)

So, instead of buying another P-89, I have an itch for something different. I can get a new M&P for around 450, and I heard you can get an SR9 for under 400 new.

Which would you get? Don't want to go over 450 since I sold my P-89 for 350 and spent 580 for the XDM.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Given a choice between XDm, SR9 and the M&P, I'd take the XDm. Since you already have it, my question would be why bother with the others? My choice would be to save it up for another XD in a different caliber, a surplus Sig P6 (around $300 right now) or use the $$ to buy ammo/components.
  3. mcw120566

mcw120566 New Member

I just bought another M&P, a 40c this time. With this one it makes three M&P's here, and I cant say enough good about them! Smith had, and may still have a rebate going on. You either got two new mags or 50.00 cash back. Check into it, might make it a better price for you.

Follow up.......
    I just checked my Rebate form, it runs till May 31, 2010.
    Check it out.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  4. runswithscissors

runswithscissors New Member

two thumbs up for the S&W! They are awesome! Never handled the others but have heard all good about the XD. SR9, I have only heard they had some trouble and I think a recall, but it may be all cleared up by now. I have read mixed reviews on them, but almost 100% good on the other 2.
    I also 2nd the recommendation on the p6. I bought one of these and you can't beat the price for what you get there, it shoots just like the p220 I have.
  5. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

I have one of the early SR9's that was recalled. It is an awesome pistol without further mod's. The last time I qualified with it I shot a 98.3% , out shooting the Sig's, M&P's,XD's,H&K's,Glocks that were qualifying with me. I am a good shot but the SR9 definitly holds a great point of aim.:D
  6. big steve

big steve New Member

I looked at a sr9 tonight that is a great pistol and very nice looking too good price
  7. runswithscissors

runswithscissors New Member

that SR9 does look nice. I think I just saw that they have it in compact now(?)
  8. Danwin22

Danwin22 Member

I just bought a Ruger SR9-C in all-black this week.

Here it is next to a S&W Sigma .40 and another shot with a High Standard .22, a Ruger MKII .22 and the Sigma.

I love this little guy and my son was so impressed he plans to pick one up too.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  9. phlmorgan

phlmorgan New Member

Alright, I bought a new Ruger SR9, made sure it was after recall.

felt good in the hand. trigger not to bad.

The bad about this gun. (stainless steel slide full size variant). All the edges are extremely sharp. feels unfinished. The groves in the slide are so sharp they hurt your fingers, and if you slip it will cut you. It is extremely hard to pull open the slide. I'm not small or weak it just catches and you have to pull very hard. The slide release will not release unless you pull back on the slide. When it is loaded it works a LITTLE easier(you can actually release it w/ your thumb, granted one hell of alot of pressure,and not have to use both hands.)

all the edges around the back of the barrel are super sharp, ramp and locking edges. ramp not very polished.

I took it out and shot around 450 rounds in it. hoping this would loosen the gun up. on the good side it shot very well for accuracy but did have about 6 stove pipes. I put that up to new gun and maybe some bad ammo. All happened w/ one box of ammo. Did not do it again after that.

Its going to take alot of work to make this gun fun to shoot. I've got a blister on the side of my thumb from the darn slide release. I've got to use rubbing compound on every one the slide serations to get rid of the RAZOR sharp edges. also will have to file the slide release notch so you can actually release it w/ one hand.

I own many Ruger products and have had no such issues in the past. Granted it shoots very well and is accurate, but the finish on the gun is very very poor for price. I would recomment another gun. The only other gun I have run accross w/ such razor sharp edges on it was a cheap Llamma 45
  10. Danwin22

Danwin22 Member

Here's a shot of my SR9-C with the extended magazine foot.

It gives about one finger more on the grip. They also include a flat bottom for the magazine and include a standard SR-9 magazine with spacer if you want more rounds.

I like the feel and I don't see any terribly sharp edges.

I've read several gun magazine tests on the SR9-C and they have all been very favorable. Trigger pull is less than the standard SR-9 and no complaints of misfires.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  11. smoke-pole

smoke-pole New Member

id go with the sr9.
    Last edited: May 10, 2010