Sringfield 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by starman, Nov 29, 2009.

1. starman

starman New Member

I looked at the Springfield item PX9151LP which falls into the Loaded model of 1911's The one shown on Springfields web page shows its manufactured in Geneso, IL but the one in my local gun shop say's made in Brazil
    So should I have a concern on quality ? I'd rather have the USA mfg's gun but not sure if I have the choice. I've emailed SF and will see what they say also.

Thanks
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

While they don't flat-out say, on the website, that their guns are American-made, they certainly imply it. But to the best of my knowledge, they are all made elsewhere.

They're sneaky, that way. Like implying, strongly, that they are the same Springfield Armory that George Washington had started.

I would have no quality concerns. I have four Springfields. Two 1911s, an M1A and an M6. All fine guns.
  3. starman

starman New Member

I found out that the frames in the loaded line w/ the letter N stamped in the I.D. number are made in Brazil and in the upper line such as Trophy w/ the letter NM in the number are made in the U.S. They said the frames made in Brazil are made with the Colt machinery line of equipment
    Thanks to all, I'm deciditing now between the P19132LP which has target sights or the PX 9151LP same gun w/o adj. sights. Then there' the P19140LP Trophy Match which has adj. sights and a few more enhancements but cost more $$
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Pretty sure the frame is manufactured in Brazil and the rest of it is US-made. But don't quote me on that. Either way, I would trust a Springfield over plenty of other brands. In fact, I almost bought a Springfield Mil-Spec, but decided against it because it did something to the spent rounds that I didn't want. Plus my RIA was $100 cheaper. Springfield is a good firearm. I would have no concerns with quality. With all due respect to other peoples' choices, I have had more friends who have had problems with Colts than with Springfields.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  5. starman

starman New Member

P/U'd up the springfield loaded 1911 PX9151LP today, nice stainless w/ cocobo grips. There's a coupon in the box for getting the adj. sites for $29.00 I'll try it w/ its fixed sights first but will probably order the adjustables soon.
    Thanks to all for the information it helps to hear from others.
  6. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

Starman, you will not be dissapointed. I have the same gun, but not in stainless. Mine is made in Brazil. I am getting ready to change the grip to a Hogue rubber molded grip. The grips that came with the gun although nice looking, get slick. Congrats on the gun.
  7. techoca

techoca New Member

All Springfield Armory 1911s are cast in Brazil; most are assembled in Brazil as well. The guns with an NM serial prefix are fit and assembled in the US.

No, you should not be concerned of the quality of the 1911s produced in Brazil. If you do experience problems then Springfield Armory has an excellent reputation for customer service and the guns have a lifetime warranty.

techoca
  8. starman

starman New Member

Yes, I'm the owner of the PX9151Lp and couldn't be happier. Thanks for all the input and interest in my post. It now time to start loading some cases up and head for the range and see what she can do.

Thanks and keep the powder burning
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Congrats ! You'll have many great years of service out of that one, eager to see/hear the range report. :cool:
  10. starman

starman New Member

Wooleyworm, I took it out Sunday w/ some factory 230g ammo since I haven't found any large pistol primers yet. My first shots were from a rest so I would know what the gun would do instead of me. The rest is just that a barrell rest with my hands on the grips not totally locked down but much steadier than hand held. At 15yds it held approx. 1" to 1 1/2" group w/ 14shots, then I shot freehand and keep it w/in a 3" or tighter group. So it seems okay and it also cycled well. I performed the same test with my S&W md#686 357 mag and it grouped a 1" pattern w/ twelve shots.
    Hopefully with my own loads the 1911 will improve a little. It has fixed sights but Springfield offers an adjustable sight that I'm considering, what's your toughts on adding the adj. rear sight. Once sighted in it will ultimately depend on my steady or not so steady hand to make it perform. I have 90 days to decide and get the new pistol buyer discount of $29 vs. $42.
    I'm trying to decide on whether to buy jacketed bullets or just go with hard cast lead SWC or RN, any opinion that ? The Lead bullets I've been buying are a 16 hardness and work well with my S&W revolver. Do you think lead would work out okay w/ the 1911 or should I spend the extra dollars for jacketed.
    :eek:
  11. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I know you will get mixed reviews on lead verses fmj but I always go with fmj in my autos. Thats just me.
  12. techoca

techoca New Member

Lead bullets work excellent in a 1911. I will take my handloaded 200gr. LSWC's over anything for accuracy in a 1911.

techoca
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I load both lead and FMJ .45s and there are no difference in accuracy that I can see. I'll tell you what I do, but it probably doesn't matter. I will shoot the lead bullets first and then put a magazine or two of the FMJ through it. Like I said, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference because the barrel shouldn't lead up with them only being pushed 800 to 850 FPS, anyway.

I kind of like the idea of Springfield putting that coupon in with their guns. I bought a new M1A last month and I am getting ready to send off the coupon for a few things at what seems like quite a savings.
  14. starman

starman New Member

gdmoody, I agree with w/ the accuracy, lead should perform as well as FMJ. I've also used the practice of shooting some FMJ ammo behind the lead to hopefully clean it out on my S&W revolver. However I seem to still get a little lead build up in the barrell right nest to the cylinder. Can you recommend a good lead remover / cleaner for stainless barrels? I've used a few with marginal success, would like to find something better with the chance of harming the stainless.
    I'll also be taking advantage of the coupon from Springfield.

Thanks
  15. techoca

techoca New Member

Medium brass wool is the best thing for removing lead from your barrel. You can purchase it at any good hardware store for $8.00 per pack. Brass wool is used by wood workers who work on boats or any outdoor refinishing projects: it works same as steel wool but does not rust.

Simply take a small portion and push it through your barrel with a wood dowel. It will not harm your barrel and the lead will come out on the brass wool.

techoca