Sringfield 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by starman, Nov 29, 2009.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Ditto! I didn't even know it existed.

starman - There is some kind of a foaming spray stuff that I have used in the past to clean the lead out but I can't seem remember the name of it right now.
  2. techoca

techoca New Member

Sorry folks, I said brass wool but I meant bronze wool. Bronze wool is not hard to find. Your local hardware store can order it if they do not stock it. My gunsmith always has it for sale as well.

techoca
  3. techoca

techoca New Member

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

tech - thanks for the link, I am going to check at Lowe's the next time I go. I now know basically what to look for and I have a price comparison.
  5. techoca

techoca New Member

That was a good price too. I usually pay $8.00; of course you have to add shipping to the Amazon price. The product pictured is exactly what I buy.

techoca
  6. starman

starman New Member

Great I was wondering if you meant bronze because I was having trouble finding brass wool. West Marine supply also has it on hand. They're a good dependable supplier that I used while building two different boats. I'll get some and try it soon.

Thanks
  7. ElrodCod

ElrodCod New Member

Forged, not cast.
  8. techoca

techoca New Member

Yes, forged....
  9. NonPCnraRN

NonPCnraRN New Member

What you want to remove lead is copper wool mesh wound around an old brass bore brush. It is sold to poke in the holes where wires and plumbing stick up through the foundations of houses to keep rodents and insects out. You can buy a lifetime supply for a few bucks. I learned this trick from Marshall Stanton, owner of Beartooth Bullets. Also as to lead or fmj, I have some Buffalo bore 230 gr +P truncated cone fmj ammo. The flat meplat makes a better stopper than round nose and a better penetrator than HPs. It was on sale at Cabelas. I also have 2000 230 gr lead truncated cone bullets of a BHN of 12 (target alloy) from Penn Bullets. I would feel just as comfortable with the lead bullets as the fmj. Used on the trail a 230 gr truncated cone bullet at 950 fps (+P) will penetrate a lot of critter either 2 legged or 4 legged. That load is just 20 gr less bullet weight than the original 250 gr 45 Colt at 950 fps requested by the Army for the model P Colt Single Action. That load was designed for the Army to take an opposing cavalryman's mount out from under him. Here is the web site for the copper wool. http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/SPEC/pick-stuffit.htm Also be carefull of copper wool Chore Boys found in the grocery store. They are copper washed steel and can be checked with a magnet. The pure copper wool mesh will not harm a barrel any more than a copper jacketed bullet will. Hope some of this info helps.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2009