St Etienne pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by tinakikr, Jul 14, 2011.

1. tinakikr

tinakikr New Member

Hello, my daughter came across two flint lock pistols, marked St Etienne, any idea on the value?
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum but need more information or a least pictures
  3. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

St Etienne was a French arsenal where military arms were made for many decades, many types, sizes, models of pistols. A useful reply will require good photos including close-ups of markings and measurements of the pieces.:):):)
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The pic is too small to blow up, but the gun looks good. With some "aging", could it pass as original?

Jim
  6. tinakikr

tinakikr New Member

She has two of them, one is clearly marked and very beautifully detailed. The other is a little more "plain", she sent me a pic via text messaging so I'm not sure how to download it onto the internet. The plainer one has a face on the handle and a crown on the side. I found some that looked similar online but the prices were in euros, (not sure about euros).
  7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Good quality photos are needed for any hope of identifying. If she has a decent digital camera, tell her to use the macro setting for closeups of markings.
  8. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

St. Etienne is a city that had a lot of different arms manufacturers.
  9. tinakikr

tinakikr New Member

Gotcha! She's sending me some pics, I'll post them as soon as they arrive.:)
  10. tinakikr

tinakikr New Member

I have some pictures but I am unable to copy and paste them into this box. any ideas?
  11. tinakikr

tinakikr New Member

I think this may do the trick!

Attached Files:

12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Sorry, but that is a modern gun made as a decorator. I am not sure it could even be called a reproduction as it is probably not a copy of any specific pistol and I am virtually certain it was never intended to be fired. I suspect the metal parts are cast zinc, not steel or iron.

Guns like that are sold for display in restaurants, bars and the like to give an "old-time" look to the place. Of course, as "non-guns" they do not involve any legal problems as the display of real guns might. Surprisingly, they are reasonably well made and not cheap, often selling for $100-150.

Jim
  13. tinakikr

tinakikr New Member

Thank you, I appreciate it!
    :)