Stag 3G?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Gene Seward, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Has anyone got at 3G Stag AR? If so what do you think? Those of you that have a Stag rifle what do you think? I have Bushmaster and DPMS and no experience with Stag. Also is everyone having trouble getting good AR rifles? I can find low end rifles, but not any upper end.
  2. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

I personally haven't owned or fired one, but read & hear they are a very good quality firearm. I have thought seriously of purchasing one. I'm sure somebody will have an opinion based on usage. Merry Christmas & God Bless you and yours Gene.
  3. Juker

Juker New Member

Mine's a Model 2. Exactly what I wanted, no more, no less. It's a sweetie. I've been at the range when there were all sorts of ARs being fired, and there would be times when I was the only one shootin' - everyone else was cussing and looking for tools. :D

Mine has never jammed, and I have put serious rounds through it this year. My only complaint, and it's a small one, it that the bolt gets really fouled with carbon. Doesn't affect the operation one iota , but I've spent more time cleaning the bolt than I have the rest of the rifle. (I do love a clean gun.)

Contact Double D if you're looking at Stags. He got me this one (Florida to Illinois), and I am 100% satisfied with the rifle, the transaction, and with Dan.

Attached Files:

• stag.jpg
      stag.jpg
      File size:
      188.6 KB
      Views:
  4. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

You still able to use open sites Juker? By the way, Merry Christmas and God Bless you and yours!
  5. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Thanks for the info and God bless you and yours. I have looked for a DPMS LR260L for two years and finally asked about the 243L, Mossy Oak brush and the 3G1 all by DPMS. Not any to be had. I saw a Stag 3G and liked it, but did not know enough about Stag to buy it. My other choice is an extended rail Socom II from Springfield, but two grand is a bit much and it not be special. IMHO Again thanks.
  6. Juker

Juker New Member

And with trifocal graduated lenses, no less! :D
  7. Juker

Juker New Member

Same to you and yours, brothers.

I was also looking at various mfrs., and when Dan recommended Stag, I started looking at reviews. Couldn't find a single bad one, anywhere, and I've been thoroughly pleased. Got it in April/May, and Dan did me right - better than the pricing on the Stag site. (I don't know current prices, but Dan will.)

I added the single-point sling mount and a buttpad, and let 'er rip right out of the box.

Mine came with a hard case, one mag, and a Stag mousepad, too. ;) And she loooooves SBGO.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  8. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I checked stock on the LR 260L and it was out of stock. The 243 was in stock but it didnt have the L after the part number. It has a 20" barrel and would be 1045.00 to your FFL. The mossy oak brush and the 3G1 were not listed as you described so I couldnt help you there. The springfield socom 2s were in stock and the most expensive one would be around 1815.00 and the less expensive would be 1735.00 to your FFL. I can get AR-15s starting at 600.00 and up. Let me know if I can help.
  9. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Thanks again. My local shop is supposed to call me on Monday and let me know about the 260 and the 3g1. If not soon I will go buy the Stag in Little Rock, about 100 miles south, on Tuesday.
  10. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I Have 3 stag carbines, all 16 inch barrels, nice and light for carrying on atv & snowmachine. First stag was 556, second 556 piston, and last one 6.8 carbine. Great guns, buy another stag in a minute. I might get another 6.8 in piston and it would be a carbine also. We have killed a bunch of caribou and a few wolves & bear with the stags.

My only complaint with Stag Arms is I don't think they are too excited about bringing out other calibers on AR platform. I bought an AR-10 in 338 Fed last year, family members got 3 moose last Sept with that Armalite and a few caribou; but that AR-10 is much bigger and heavier than stag carbine.

I never much shoot the 556 AR's anymore, stay in gun vault for the grandkids I guess; the 6.8 never makes it to the vault, shoot it all the time. I'd seriously consider the 6.8 spc over 556 for hunting along with targets.

Myself, I'm looking for an AR carbine in 308 win that is piston. Haven't seen any yet, but there is a company (Patriot Arms) makes a POV-308 and it's not a pure piston but a mix between old style and newer piston. Pretty spendy too, around 3K. It weighs like 9 lbs, like my AR-10. Boy after hunting with the light as a feather Stag carbine; 9 lbs feels like 15lbs, no joke. Anybody seen any ARs in 308 piston?
  11. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Well I did it. I got the 3G on Tuesday and love it so far. It shoots great even with the cheap red dot for now. My Millett 6x16x56 Mil-dot is on my buddies M1A1 until next Wed. which is the last day of modern gun deer season here. I will post more about it next week.
  12. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I've had mine now for some time now and alot of ammo down range.
    I havent had any problems with it so far. Just a worrd of advice, stay away from the cheap ammo, such as the "russian ammo"!!!

Attached Files:

13. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Same here on mine Juker. No jam's and doesnt affect the action, I just like a good clean firearm! And here's what was suprising to me, is that Ive tryied alot of different ammo. And for anything out to about 250yds, Rem. UMC, 45gr. JHP works the best in mine.
  14. Juker

Juker New Member

Glad to hear it's not just my bolt. I've shot a lot of that UMC - this one loves American Eagle (Federal) 5.56 55 grain, too.