Stained glass hobby

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ARB, Jan 29, 2010.

1. ARB

ARB New Member

For years now my mother has been working with stained glass. She has created some really beautiful pieces. I had always enjoyed watching her as a child, and had fun grinding some of the pieces for her. I think now, I am going to give it a shot. She is sending me all of her equipment as she has recently found other things to do.
    Has anyone ever worked with glass?
  2. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

Yes, I have an NRA beer mug that I work with every night :D

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Folks, continue on with the original question.
  3. Airdale

Airdale Member

ARB,

My wife created many beatiful pieces, lamp shades, windows and some smaller pieces. One thing led to another and she found her way to bead making and fused glass jewelery (some very beautiful stuff). She is completly self taught.

Lots of ways to go in glass hobbies, hope you find your niche.
  4. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I don't but one of my best friends is a professional stained glass maker.
    Good stained glass is fascinatingly beautiful.
  5. artabr

artabr New Member

I had several friends that did it years ago, I messed with it just enough to screw up. :eek: :D
    Really cool stuff.
    1 buddy and I were going to inlay a stain glass eagle that he was to make into a table that I was going to build. We never got a round to it. I wish we had.

Art
  6. shadowalker

shadowalker New Member

My two brothers and I have been doing stained glass as a profession for over 75 years. I brought my son into glasswork 10 years ago. My brother owns Northeast Stained Glass in Newton, N.J. My son works for my brother; it's a family affair. They only do commercial work now, since the home market has really gone down. Not many people can afford the price of handmade glasswork..
  7. Artemus

Artemus New Member

Haaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha,I love it.
  8. docwalt

docwalt New Member

Just think.....the waste lead that you use...you can cast your own boolits.
  9. ARB

ARB New Member

Any suggetions getting started? Do you all have a website so that I may admire some of your families work?
  10. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

11. shadowalker

shadowalker New Member

ARB, stained glass is a dying art. Most people will not want to work at it more than a couple of months. There are a few ways to get into glasswork that will satisfy your artistic needs. Find a local artist that will take you under his wing; this is how I learned. Or find a craft shop that gives classes. I learned when I was 18, now I am 64; you never stop learning. GlassArt takes time, but if you stick with it, it's very rewarding. My son has been doing glass for 10 years and he is an amazing artist. I will post pictures as soon as I can. Thanks...............shadowalker
  12. red14

red14 Active Member

I just love the tradition of a family business. Anytime the family can do things together, it's a blessing. I'd love to see those pictures too!
  13. Woodie

Woodie New Member

New York State in the country Broome County
    My wife and I:D took classes about 40 years ago. We made a number of pieces and then as time and kids..... We used foil not the lead canning (SP?) I always wanted to do a front door glass. I still have a bunch of glass maybe it's time to try it again. Thanks for the thread.
  14. red14

red14 Active Member

Nothing beats early morning light, though stained glass windows, and a cup of coffee.
  15. larsf

larsf New Member

We have two complete glass windows from the Catholic in our town. The glass panels were made about 1898. They were in a haymow for the last 40 years after the church was remodeled. We are planning to put them up in our house with some back lighting. The lead work has become very loose. Where can I go to find information to reset the panes of glass so we can use them?
  16. shadowalker

shadowalker New Member

larsf, any stained glass studio will be able to help you. There will be some factors you will have to confront. Glass that is that old will not be a cheap fix. If the lead is just loose, a releading might be about $70-$100 a square foot. Glass of that age, if any of it is broken will be almost impossible to replace. Do a lot of research for your windows, it will only help you in the long. Any info I can share, let me know.........shadowalker
  17. madmantrapper

madmantrapper New Member

I had a local glass guy do five pieces for a door I was building for my home about 16 years ago. The total sq. ft. is about 18. It was for two side lights and the door. I paid $750, I would have paid more.

I looked him up lately for another job. It was a job of similar size and he wanted $1500, the customer would not go for it.