Standard Arms rifles. ???

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Redhand, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

I have a 35 rem. model that is currently a basket case and I need someone to put it back in working order. I have all the parts but the bolt keeps locking up. I also have a 30 rem. that needs help. I've also got a 30 rem model M that is a great shooter. The other two are model G's. Thanks, Bob:D
  2. jondar

jondar New Member

I wish you all the luck in the world but afraid you are fighting a losing battle on this. In my collection of older American Rifleman Magazines I see ads for the sale of these back in the 60's and before. Some of them came in "kit" form, all the parts for you to put together and were described as "something for you to do on long winter nights." One was a model that could be used, "with a bit of adjusting", as a pump action rifle or a semi-auto.

Questions on them were asked in the magazine, and answers given, but I don't see anything positive. You may be able to make them work, something to do on long winter nights. First, try to get a schematic, e-gunparts may have them.
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

As Jondar posted, many of these were sold as parts kits. When Standard Arms went out of business first in 1912 and then for good in 1914 - they had sold several thousand (perhaps 3,000 - 5,000), there were approx. 2000 remaining in various stages of completion. NUMRICH ARMS purchased these along with all remaining parts inventories, LOCK, STOCK and BARREL. Numrich supposedly finished another 2000 to 3000 pieces - total production is assumed to be less than 7000 complete firearms and many parts kits. We've sold three of them ( 2 x .30 and 1 x .35) over the past two years and received $800 for the best condition one (approx. 80 finish, but fully functional). The other two sold between $500 and $600. They were sold to collectors.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Incredibly, Gun Parts Corp. (Numrich's) still has many parts for those guns. They were one of the earliest gas operated rifles and (AFAIK) the earliest gas operated sporting rifle. The statement that the gas port could be closed and the gun operated as a pump action seems to have been made by someone who didn't own one. The problem is that in using the gun as a pump rifle, the shooter has to pull the foreend back against heavy spring pressure.

The guns are not too hard to take down or reassemble (no, I don't want the job), and Simonov seems to have borrowed the initial disassembly for his SKS. But they have a reputation for not working well. My .30 Model G will sometimes fire twice in a row, but I have never gotten more than that. I consider them purely as collectors items; I can buy plenty of better semi-auto rifles today.

Jim
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009