Star 380? Ive been trying to find out some info on this company

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by TommyC955, Feb 5, 2007.

1. TommyC955

TommyC955 New Member

I was looking at a Star 380 the other day I liked I was wanting to know If anyone could tell me about this gun or the company itself I know its based out of Spain but thats about it thanks guys
  2. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    You will get just what you paid for JUNK..........:(

Run like the wind away from this brand.......:eek:
  3. ksswamprat

ksswamprat New Member

I disagree! I've owned and currently own many Stars they are fine guns for the money. The StarFires are not true Stars and are something else all together. Star was around for a lot of years but went out of business on July 28th 1997. I would just want a Star made before 1990. The bean counters got involved about that time and the company went downhill fast.
    My favorites are the Star BM 9mm and the Star F 22cal.

Swamprat
  4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Star pistols were very innovative, quality built guns. The DK Starfire was one of the finest .380 pocket pistols made. The model "S" .380 is larger, but still a very fine gun. I say this having owned many Stars, and worked on a lot more. They are locked-breech guns, capable of handling hot ammunition.
    I'm interested in why Al thinks otherwise. To condemn a product without clarifying the reason is unwise.
    Bill
  5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Swamprat-
    I assume you meant "Firestars" rather than Starfires.
    Bill
  6. ksswamprat

ksswamprat New Member

You are correct sir. Just one of those days.:eek:

Swamprat
  7. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

AL MOUNT...

are you smokin crack???

STAR has produced some of the finest handguns out there over the last 80 years...

the STAR MODEL A / MODEL B series can easily be ranked among the top 12 combat handguns of all time...

i own several Star handguns, and have handled, shot, sold, cleaned, and inspected hundreds more...

why the negative and hostile opinion on Star???

best regards, mike.
  8. TommyC955

TommyC955 New Member

Thanks for the information guys I checked out that website too Thanks again I appreciate the feedback
  9. stash247

stash247 New Member

Just gotta weigh in on this one.
    Star, Astra, and a few others stand head and shoulders above most of the product coming out of the Eibar, Spain region, during the mid 20th century.
    Neither company built the 'prettiest' guns on the block, but neither did they deliver any junk. Everything I've seen, of their work was functional, and well designed/ executed, from an engineer's perspective.
    Al seems kinda down on Spanish guns; wonder if my AyA SS 20 gauge is 'junk', too???
    After all, it was built 200 yds from the Star factory.
  10. planar

planar New Member

Please forgive me if I make any gramatical errors, English is not my native language. I am a Spanish citizen who has lived in the U.S. since the mid 70's and perhaps have something to add to this discussion. In Franco's time, the Star mod "S" was primarily assigned to the National Police Service (Policia Nacional), our equivalent to street cops. It was also assigned to Inspectors of the General Security Division (Direccion General de Seguridad) our equivalent to the FBI. It was also distributed to high officers of the Army and sometimes Air Force Pilots, even though the official Army, Air Force, and Navy handgun, during Franco's time was the Star "9-Largo" or model "A". I served in the Spanish military therefore I am familiar with all these Stars. They are work horses who survived and operated flawlessly in the snows of the Pirineo Mountains, as well as in the extreme heat and humidity of the Mediterranean coast. All these handguns were made to handle the typical military load of the time, in Spain at least, and that consisted of FMJ rounds. Anything else is just wishful thinking. You can't take modern bullet configurations and expect a vintage Star to digest it, it's no wonder American shooters call vintage Stars "junk", especially when they feed these great weapons rounds they were not made to digest, or hot rod superloads they fabricate themselves.
    Finally, it is crazy to compare a vintage Star with modern-type handguns, they will most likely always come out loosing. One thing though, firearm efficiency is not measured by what you wear but how well you know how to use it. My dad, with his old and worn twin barrel shotgun could bring home more ducks than most of his friend using modern semi-auto shotguns, and that's a fact!
  11. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I owned a Star PD .45 ACP pistol for many years and it was a fine gun. I have shot Star 9mms and .22s and I like them (the Star F-series .22s are great little guns).

From my personal hands-on experience I know that Stars are good guns; solid and reliable. No way are they "junk" guns.