Star Model 30-M

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Big Shrek, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

I mentioned having, in the past, a Star Model 30-M. And having a pair of mags somewhere around the house...
    well, today my loving wife finally mentioned finding those mags...still inside the old WW2 mag pouch I kept them in.

So, I'm like HECK YEAH!! WHERE ARE THEY?? And she brings them out...
    first thing I notice is a couple small rust stains on the mag pouch...ouch.
    I take 'em out and find there is spotty rust on the right side of each mag, along the two right edges.

So...I whip out the Steel Wool & Hoppe's #9 and start scrubbing. Much of it came off,
    but there's still rough stuff left to go.

Short of breaking out the power tools, what can I do to get rid of the rest of the rust??
    Or do I just keep scrubbing with 00 steel wool until it's all gone??
    I've not encountered this much rust on a gun part before...it was pretty thick on those spots.

I'm usually a bit more bright about remembering how to deal with deep rust, but for some reason (63hr workweeks)
    my brain is all melty this month.

Sad part is, I know where another Star Model 30-M is...
    and the temptation to go buy it is BAD...lol
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i'd wire brush'em, but ifn i was dead set on doing it by hand i'd use wd40 and not hoppes thought because wd40 is a penetrating oil.

sorry to hear about your misfortune
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i'm sure there are better products out now but being a old fart i've haven't kept up. but i do recall using some naval jelly that worked great but if i recall right it removed some of the blueing ???? which i guess stands to reason , but on a magazine that wouldn't matter that much, and if it did magazines are easy to reblue at home . a nice weekend project......
  4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Well, if you wind up defeated, I found Star's website with some info about magazines and compatibility.

http://www.star-firearms.com/info/mags.shtml
    http://www.gunclips.net/stmo30m9mm10.html
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

a local gunsmith might would include the mags in with a batch of blueing for cheap if you didnt want to do it yourself
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Boil them in water to kill the rust, put on some oil, and forget about it as long as they work.

Jim
  7. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Wah? Never heard of that. I mean, rust isn't like a virus or bacteria.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

No, rust is not a bacterium, but sometimes it can almost act that way. It is caused by some corrosive material - salt, acid, whatever. Boiling the part (I forgot to say in distilled water) dissolves whatever is causing the corrosion and stops the progress of the rust. Too often just putting oil on the rust will affect only the surface and allow the rust to continue beneath the oil. (The word "kill" is used figuratively; rust is not alive.)

Jim
  9. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

You can use a copper penny to scrape off the heavy rust. Naval Jelly, and all the commercial rust removers will remove bluing, and will damage springs and some feed lips.