star pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by gmoody, Nov 6, 2009.

1. gmoody

gmoody New Member

I have a 7 shot revolver which was brought home from Germany at the end of WWII. It has no name on it but does have a 5 point star on the frame above the grip on the left side, there is an arrow in the star pointing up. Under the star is the number 1931. On the frame ahead of the cyclinder is the number 33724. The bore measures a tad less than 8MM. I would like to know anything about this gun.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  2. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Well first off, it is not a Star, Star is the trade name for Bonifacio Echeverria, a defunct Spanish maker. It sounds as if you are describing a Model 1895 Nagant. Russian service revolver from 1894 until the 1947. A unique gas seal design that fires the 7.62 Nagant cartridge, ammo is still available. Only a picture can will identify it for sure but what you have posted fits it to a T. The Star and Arrow identifies the arsenal in which it was made, which I believe is the Tula Arsenal. The market has been flooded with these revolvers in the last few years and they are selling for around 80 dollars for the double action model { with a manf. date of 1931, that would be what you have }. Hope that helps. :) As Contenderizer noted on another posting, because of the time it was brought into the states it would not have import markings and would have a 20-40 percent premium. Maybe 125 to 140$
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  4. gmoody

gmoody New Member

Hey, this is great to hear what I have. I am not interested in selling the pistol anyhow so the price does not make me feel bad. I am not very good at attaching pics but will attempt it again. I have some loaded in this computer. I do really want to thank you.
    Maybe the Germans bought the gun before the war as my father-in-law took it from villagers right after the town was taken by troops.

I have some other guns that he sent home and may try to get them IDed as well, if you don't mind
  5. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    It's a Nagant 1895, no doubt. I have it's brother, same date and markings, Tula Arsenal. This is not a really good revolver, but an interesting dead end in gun development. Notice how when you cock it the cylinder moves forward to enclose upon the barrel. This was believed to capture escaping gas and help in propulsion of the slug. The only ammo I could find was some old Russian stuff that really had a distinctive smell when set off. Why the Russians kept using this through both World Wars is beyond me. Maybe it worked for them. I even saw them as battlefield pick ups off NVA and VC captives or bodies. TJ
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  6. gmoody

gmoody New Member

1 pic as promised.

Attached Files:

7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Yep, 1895 Nagant. BTW if you ever want to clean it, on the right side above the grip is a large screw head, turn it abut three times, then tap it with a piece of wood, the left side of the frame will pop out. As TeeJay said , built like a tank, but obsolete form the first year it was made.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

It has it's own unique ammo that is not the easiest stuff to find. I think that I saw some advertised in either the Century International or the SOG flyer this past week. A box of something like 40 rounds was something like $27, but don't quote me on that because my memory is not what it used to be.

EDIT: By the way gmoody welcome to the forum. Where are you from? Most of my family is from lower Alabama.

Another EDIT: I was looking for some M-14 magazines and just found you some 7.62 Nagant ammo, here is a link:

http://www.keepshooting.com/ammunition/pistol/nagant-762-ammo.htm
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  9. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Wow, that's as much as some 9mm and .45acp I've seen. For THAT pistol, forget it, it isn't even that fun to shoot. Up to you, of course, but I'd spend my money on something fun to shoot. You can get a brick of .22 lr for around that. TJ
  10. gmoody

gmoody New Member

to GDMoody: I am from Nebraska. Ancestors from Valle Crucis, N C
  11. AR1911

AR1911 New Member

Someone makes a .32 ACP cylinder for those