starline brass/357 mag

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by old semperfi, Oct 28, 2011.

1. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i just recently purchased 100 rounds of new starline brass in 357 caliber.i have reloaded thousands of rounds of 357 without a problem,now i have one.i probably got to the 30th or so round and suddenly the cases got a bad wrinkle about halfway down the case.the crimp i used was not any more than i normally would use.i had to back off quite a bit on the crimp before it stopped.i checked the case length and it was within spec.im wondering if anybody else has had this problem. old semperfi
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I buy Star Line all the time, and have never had a problem with it, I also reload for .357. It's cheaper, so might not be as much brass in this brand!
  3. garydude

garydude Member

Starline brass is about as thck or thicker than most current production brass, however it is not as thick as stuff produced 25 years ago. If you are currently setup for loading your old brass and replacing it with new Starline, then you may not be able to crimp as much as you used on the old stuff. Or try seating and crimping in two separate operations, or try crimping with a Lee FCD. Works well for me.

Generally Starline is excellent brass.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  4. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Although I too have loaded thousands of .357 mag rounds, I've yet to use any Starline brass. However, I do use Starline in .41 mag without any problems; also using a LEE FCD in a separate step.

BTW: I use the same method for loading .357 as well.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Starline is all I use in both .357 and .44 mag. Excellent brass, never had an issue with any of it.
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I'd say 50 % of my 357 brass is Starline and I've never had a problem .
  7. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

As with the others, I use Starline and don't have any reloading issues. And I wouldn't think the amount of crimp would cause what you describe. The first thought that popped into my mind was that you might have lube or lead buildup in your seating/crimp die. Have you checked to make sure it doesn't need to be cleaned? Also, did you have a sufficient flare of the case mouth? If not, the bullet could be pushed down against the case lip before it seats causing the wrinkle.