Starline Brass Question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Bowsage, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Bowsage

Bowsage New Member

This forum looks like a good place to follow as I just joined in a few days ago .

I'm about to start loading for my Ruger 45 Colt and I'm sure I'll ask for more help/suggestions as I am new to reloading.

First question is do you need to resize the new Starline brass before loading the first time?
  2. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

It's a good idea to both size and trim new brass. This gives you a great place to start with all the brass being made the same when you start. Starline makes good brass. I use it a lot for my .45 Colt loads. Good luck and enjoy!

Welcome to the Forum!!!!
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

+1

Its a good idea to size/trim any new brass before reloading.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF Bowsage ! Starline is great brass and the suggestions above are spot on. Resize it all so that it's all uniform and then check the lengths; if there are any differences more than .002, then I'd trim them all to uniform length.
  5. daboone

daboone Member

Starline brass is excellent brass but the advantage to resizing then trimming (new) brass is assuring the seating depth and crimps are consistent. It is a responsibility of the handloader to trust nothing to chance not even Starline.
  6. Bowsage

Bowsage New Member

I just checked about twenty cases, none are too long, I suppose that will change after shooting. Can you just trim after they stretch?

I'm starting out with the 255 SWC Laser Cast and Unique starting at 7.6grns. How much do you move up as you're working up your load ? Thanks fellows!
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That will be OK, just check them all to make sure. Most important thing is to go ahead and resize and flare them as if they are fired cases.

After the initial trimming they probably wont ever need to be trimmed again. Pistol and revolver rounds dont stretch like rifle rounds do.

Load in increments of .1 gr for pistol rounds. watch carefully for pressures to develop.
  8. Bowsage

Bowsage New Member

Well, I take that back, resize first then there is something to trim.
  9. Bowsage

Bowsage New Member

Thanks to all, And how many rounds do you like to shoot and at what range JLA ? .......... And I leave yall alone for a bit !
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You talkin pistol load development?

I use the ladder test method at 25 yds for handguns. I only have 1 revolver accurate enough for a precise load, all the rest just get a generic middle of the road load of whatever powder listed under whatever bullet weight. For your 255 lasercasts, that 7.6 gr unique is a nice mild shootn load. I think I loaded 8 when i had my vaquero years ago.

Now my rifles are a different story. they all get ladder tested at 200 yds and all of them are SUB MOA.
  11. al45lc

al45lc New Member

You'll find the .45 L.C. is a very forgiving and easy to load round, as well as versatile. My target loads don't stretch much if at all, but my very heavy hunting rounds do. Starline is great brass, but my Remington brass does very well too.
  12. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

"need to resize the new Starline brass before loading the first time?"

I use Starline brass in 40 S&W and 45 ACP and like it.
    I have never had a bum casing.

My view is to maintain complete uniformity, I full length size most all brass, some exceptions. I do a random sampling of each lot and if length is even close, they all get trimmed.

I have never had any problem with 'growing' 40 or 45 brass. As I don't load 45 Colt, I don't have first hand knowledge of them. However, I have been loading 44 Mags for many, many years and don't have a problem with them getting longer. Granted after 3 or 4 loading at full power, they drop back to medium power lead.

So to your question: Yes I would size and take a random sampling on case lengths.

Enjoy and be safe,

OSOK
  13. noylj

noylj Member

Always size new brass. You can have case mouths that are out of round. Plus, you should always follow the same reloading process.
    Also, you always want to resize so the case ID is at least 0.002" smaller than the bullet OD. Then you have the expander increase the case ID, over the length that the bullet will be seater, expanding so it is 0.001-0.002" less than bullet OD.
    Due to case wall variations, in order to be sure that all cases have the correct expansion, you need to size them down then expand them up to the correct ID.
    This next only applies to cases that headspace on the rim—trim all cases to the same length if you are going to use a roll crimp. Also, particularly with a roll crimp, get the Redding Profile Crimp Die and crimp separate from the bullet seating stage.
    Do NOT trim straight-wall cases. Rather, find the ones that are within 0.005" of max length (the odds of EVER finding one over max length is almost zero) as use these when you want to really get the best accuracy you can. Use the shorter ones for practice, pliinking, etc.

Oldpapps: you may be trimming away your best brass in .40 and .45 by trying to be overly "consistent." You are making sure that all your cases have more headspace than desirable.
    Sort by length, if you live for consistency, and determine what length or lengths give you the best accuracy. You can trim brass but you can't put it back.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  14. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

Actually 'noylj', my reference to trimming is/was for all case types that I reload. I don't remember ever having to trim any: 9MM, 380, 32S&W, 38S&W, 38 Spec, 357Mag, 25 ACP (what a waste of time), 40S&W, 44 Spec, 44 Mag or 45 ACP. I have trimmed other cases to become some of these (303 Brit to 44 Mag, 270 to loonngg 45s for shot shells and 357s to 38 Spec).
    I do trim every one of my target load brass for 223.
    Now that is cleared up.

All in all, I have found Starline Brass as good as or better than any other brand. And they are almost a local business for me, 90 miles across country roads and going a couple of miles south of Missouri Bullet Company at the same time;) . But that's not a good trip to make, Sierra has a place a block east of Starline's building:rolleyes:.

Enjoy and be safe.

OSOK
  15. Bowsage

Bowsage New Member

So , am I correct in saying ,resize first then trim and I'm ready to go?