Start with a .22?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by TranterUK, Nov 16, 2008.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

What the heck is that, looks like a .458 win mag from here?

Not something I would want to shoot!
  2. Actually, it's a revolver designed and chambered for the .600 Nitro Express, Tranter. It would probably work quite well against armored knights . . . not to mention a Tyrannosaurus Rex. :D
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

How are you going to fight on with a broken wrist, arm and dislocated shoulder?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2008
  4. Pow ba te Pow

Pow ba te Pow New Member

Hi all, my first post here.

This thread is very important to me, because I'm just starting out. Please excuse me for jumping in, I'm simply anxious and open to any and all suggestions.

I'm in my 40's, but hadn't fired a gun since I was a kid. About a month ago, I decided to go for my concealed weapons license. I don't have any friends that are experienced shooters, so found myself fumbling in the dark, so to speak.

After talking to a local police officer, I took his suggestion and bought a SIG, the P239 SAS 9mm, which I like very much, but suck at shooting. After wasting 200 rounds at practice, and not always hitting the 11x17 target at 7 yards (really suck), I signed up for the training class. I had already formed bad habits, and doubt had set in. My eyesight sucks too.

I took the class this past weekend. The NRA instructor had us shoot his .22 guns. When it came to my turn, my stance was bad, my grip was poor, my aim was off (those little dots should stack, not be in line LOL), the recoil was knocking me off, and most importantly, my trigger control was horrible.

He gave me his glock semi-auto pistol (converted to .22), corrected my stance, helped my grip, explained targetting, and beat me over the head with trigger control repeatedly. Like all noobs, I was pulling way too fast, which was pulling the gun off in every direction possible.

Looking back, I wish I had taken the training first, and bought a .22. I'm about to buy a .22, and will probably get the Ruger Mark III, since that seems to be the most popular. When I'm very comfortable with it, I'll go back to my SIG 9mm. Since the P239 only has a 4" barrel, I'm thinking I should get a larger gun and gain proficiency with it, and work my way up to the smaller barrel.

I just found this forum, and look forward to learning from all of you.

Cheers!
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

First off, welcome to TFF, Pow. We're glad to have you.

Second, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but SIG also makes a .22 that feels and functions very much like their bigger guns. It's closer to the P226 and P229 than to the P239, but it's still about as close to what you have as will be found. You can check it out here.
  6. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Welcome to the forum, just my 2 cents. Don't get me wrong the Ruger is a great gun, I have one. But only purchase a gun that feels right for you. Take one for a test drive if you can, then make your decision. I have a MKII and would not hesitate buying a MKIII, but thats because I know how the gun feels for me. Glad ya got on track, now enjoy yourself!!
  7. Pow ba te Pow

Pow ba te Pow New Member

Thanks for the welcomes :)

That SIG Mosquito does look good. I've been reading all about it. The "older" posts had lots of reported problems, but posts from 2008 about the newer version are mostly positive. I like the fact that it's a slightly smaller version of the P226. That should help me immensely in training to use my (future) bigger SIGs. I'll probably order one in the next day or so.
  8. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    That's one of those that kills by means of the electromagnetic pulse it generates, right?

Put me down for .22, also, and a revolver, at that.
  9. Welcome to TFF Pow! Glad to have you with us! :)

In my humble opinion, you are already showing the signs of becoming a good shooter. You asked for instruction instead of practicing your mistakes. With that kind of good sense, you will make it fine in the shooting community. ;)

Your police officer friend did not steer your wrong. The Sig P239 is one of the best 9mm concealed carry pistols out there and eventually you will be very glad you purchased it. Yet you are also smart to get the proper instruction you need with a .22 before you tackle the 9mm again. If you buy a .22 for practice, the Ruger is an excellent choice. I have a 22/45 myself and shoot it often. Another advantage is that .22 ammo is relatively inexpensive, which will let you practice much more. Keep at it. Trust me, your groups will tighten very quickly and you'll be shooting that Sig accurately as well.
  10. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

My Mosquito is one of the older ones, and I can still recommend it it you. As long as I have used the lighter recoil spring (it comes with two), I haven't had any problems with it. It's probably my favorite gun to shoot.

If you like SIGs and are just getting started, it's a must-have.
  11. Pow ba te Pow

Pow ba te Pow New Member

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it :)

I'm dragging my nephew into the gun world with me. Today he bought the Mark III, and I ordered the Mosquito. That way, we get to shoot them both! He took the training class with me, and we got our fingerprints done electronically today. Tomorrow we'll be mailing in our CCW applications. Word is it will take 6 months to get it here in Florida, due to the massive increase in people applying.

We'll be doing some .22 shooting this weekend, and start undoing our bad habits. I'm really looking forward to it. Very fun hobby :)