Starter 1911 at a reasonable price, RIA hi-cap?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by jlloyd73, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I've got a RIA tactical and it feeds everything. Fit on everything is great, I'm not too fond of the matte finish but after oiling it down a few times it lost that chalky look. Has a nice trigger pull too.
  2. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

I know my Remington R1 is totally American made, here in Ilion, NY.

Great first 1911 (my first too).

I put some new grips on it from Woodnut.

My R1 cost me about $670. You can probably do better through DoubleD here on TFF.

Attached Files:

3. jh45gun

jh45gun New Member

One of the most popular Rock Islands today is the Tactical models. You not gonna touch any other maker for the price that RIA are selling these for.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  4. graehaven

But he wants an American made gun. And those ain't.
  5. jh45gun

jh45gun New Member

American Made is a joke these days since there is a Global Market. Nice Sentimental Idea but many products that are made in the USA have parts made elsewhere so are they truly USA made not really. Buy the Union Label is a joke these days paying three times more that what a product is worth. I prefer to do my research and then buy getting the best product for the money. It is his choice to make just making the observation the RIA are good guns and they cannot keep them on the shelves that says something. I had to search all over to find one.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  6. Whiskey

Whiskey New Member

I'm far from an expert but for four or five hundred you can find a used Springfield Mil Spec....or 575 from BUDS and that's for a new one. For the money you spend on a Springfield the frame and slide is forged and that alone is a plus in my book. Hi capacity 1911? I never heard of a 1911 with ten round magazine being referred to as a hi capacity 1911. Things companies will use as a selling point these days I guess.
  7. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Nowhere did he state he wanted American made. He specifically said he was looking at Rock Island.

jlloyd73, the front sight on the RIA G.I. model is staked and the tactical is dovetailed but it's not a standard dovetail. From what I understand Novak sights will fit with a little filing.
  8. jh45gun

jh45gun New Member

Hawg he did say American Made up in his post at 9:22 but then he confused the issue and mentioned the RIA. So I can see where you might have missed that. My opinion you cannot go wrong with the RIA for the money for you guys that say Forged against Cast well remember Kimber which is a twice the money hand gun uses Aluminum in some of their frames. Now I am not knocking that either I have a Taurus 38 Model 85 that is a aluminum frame and it is a great CC gun.

I see nothing wrong with this:

. Armscor is a ISO 9001 certified-compliant company which manufactures Rock Island pistols using CNC (Computer Numerical Control) equipment.[5] RIA 1911 series pistols are constructed of 4140 chromoly steel with a cast frame, and are available in .45 ACP, .38 Super, 9mm Luger, and .22 TCM chamberings.

General specifications

The general specifications for Rock Island Armory 1911 pistols are:

Ordnance grade 4140 steel construction
    100% part compatibility with US G.I.
    Flat grooved steel mainspring housing
    Calibers: .45 ACP, .38 Super, 9 mm Luger
    Finishes: blued, Parkerized, nickel
    Grooved trigger
    Approx. 5ΒΌ lbf (23 N) trigger pull
    Non-checkered smooth wooden grips
    Hard plastic clamshell storage case
  9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The big difference between Rock Islands and other makes (such as Springer), is that the RIA uses cast frames & slides and some other makes are forged. Does this make a difference? Sure, but it depends on how you want to use the gun. If you intend to shoot it a lot or use it in competition, I'd probably go with a forged frame & slide. For the average user, the RIA (or other PI built gun) will be just fine...
  10. Nolaphoto1

Nolaphoto1 New Member

Just my two cents here and I hope I do not offend anyone... I researched and researched and oh, did some more research before buying my 1911. The one thing you need to accept is that quality and reliability cost money. If you opt for a lower quality firearm, whatever you save on the front end, you will most definitely incur on the back. With that said, you must also accept the fact that 1911s can be somewhat finicky. Not finicky in the sense it doesn't want to work finicky but finicky in the sense of each 1911 will have its own personality.

I have read several posts and seen many youtube videos where people buy the less expensive, Asian manufactured 1911s and have then spent twice what they paid getting the gun to function how they want it to. It makes no sense to me to purchase a $400 Asian made Rock Island Armory or Norinco and then replace items like hammers and triggers with Ed Brown parts. It also makes very little sense to purchase that $400 standard 1911 and then go pay a gunsmith to throat the barrel, polish the feed ramp, and lower and flare the ejection port. My point is, you're paying premium prices to add items to a firearm that may or may not be made from quality parts or to exacting tolerances. It's like putting a $5,000 stereo system in a $1,000 beater of a car.

Instead of doing all of these after market upgrades, simply save your money a little longer and get it done professionally by the manufacturer. That way you have a single person (entity) to deal with should you have any issues. There are no warranty items to accidentally void.

Springfield Armory's pistols start around $600 if you can find a GI model which is like a standard 1911 as it would been issued. Stepping up to the "Mil-Spec" model will give you most of the custom items added for enhanced reliability. The Mil Spec goes for around $700. I am recommending Springfield Armory because I own two of their firearms and each has performed flawlessly. I have an XD and a "Loaded" 1911.

Other 1911s to consider may include those by Remington, Ruger, and S&W. Be patient with your purchase. Remember, half the fun of getting any new toy is the "wanting" and anticipation of getting it.
  11. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Rock Island tactical comes with a polished feed ramp, throated barrel, lowered and flared ejection port and a beveled mag well. It also has a nice trigger. Mine has yet to miss a beat with any type ammo. I changed out the grips and bought some Chip McCormick mags. The mag that came with it functioned fine but honestly it felt thin and cheap. Plus it had a bumper and I don't care for bumpers. I'd have changed it for that alone. I have no plans to do any further mods to it. It's a great inexpensive gun but not a cheap one.

As far as Norinco goes they were the base platform many custom gun builders desired.
  12. yetiman

yetiman New Member

I bought ATI and took it to get the trigger massaged a little....not replacing and it was fine the way it was but I wanted a little easier trigger. Yes, it is made of cast metal, I wont be shooting thousands of rounds through it so I doubt it will ever matter. Of course with RIA you get a "lifetime" warranty so don't see as a big deal. As for mods.....I have seen kids buy a junker car and put $$$ into and when they are through all they have is a polished turd. Is that the case with these 1911's? I don't have any idea....**turns on purple neon lights and rolls on out**
  13. jh45gun

jh45gun New Member

Got my RIA Tactical today I like it. Changed the grips to some Brown Checkered Pastic GI ones until I can find some exotic wood ones I like OR I may make my own if I find the right wood.
  14. graehaven

Price?

Pix?