Starter kit

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Maxlamenas, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Maxlamenas

Maxlamenas New Member

Hi evrybody

Im a newbie in rolaoding

My question is what kind of starter kit is the best for start to raloading ?
    I have 2 gun a reminton 300 RUM and 270 WSM

PS sorry for my english i am a french
  2. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I think he'd need to use the turret in single stage to load the 300 RUM rounds. The turret will start turning before the bullet has exited the die all the way. And I'm pretty sure the disks won't go large enough for a powder charge either. It should work for the 270 Win cartridges.
    For loading two rifle rounds I'd go with a Classic Cast single stage and the Perfect Powder Measure. I'm not even sure if that will throw a large enough charge for the 300. I'm not saying, just guessing on that but that's a lot of case to fill.
    Too many options, but you have to think about how many rounds you plan on loading per session and how many a year and how much you want to spend to get started.
  4. howlnmad

I am so rude.

Welcome to TFF and keep asking questions. Everyone here is helpful and friendly. Most of the time :D.
  5. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Welcome Max, always good to have another Hockey fan on the forum, if I can be so presumptuous:D

Starting out you cannot beat Lee stuff, it will keep your initial investment down until you get to know how to do it and if you are like me 40 years later you will STILL be buying Lee stuff! (Got my new perfect powder measure and collet dies for my new Swift just yesterday!:p)

Believe it or not for all my rifle loading to this point I used the Lee dipper set, I've had it for over 30 years and tough to beat.

I progressed from my first Lee Loader set I paid like $10 for and used a hammer to load:p when I started loading for my .45 ACP in like 1980, then to a single stage, then to the Lee Turret press, then to a Pacific Pro-7 Progressive when I competed and was loading 1000+ rounds per week. The Lee auto disc measure I used for the progressive press is still going strong, but I no longer have the progressive press. But I STILL have that old turret press and it works fine, and I converted it to 4 hole so I can use it for anything, and have an inherited Pacific single stage I use for my precision loads and universal decapper.

The Lee powder measure ought to work for the 300, it can be set for a big capacity for each throw.

Don't skimp on a good balance scale though, that is one thing you will be using forever for anything you load.

I inherited an old Lyman Ohaus when I got the single stage press and it is wonderful, I don't know how I managed without a scale all those years.
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to the forum Max! How many rounds do you fire per year? Are you planning on getting any more firearms in the future? Do you shoot any competitions or just recreational/hunting?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/RCBS...bs press kit&WTz_l=Header;Search-All Products

Not sure if you have a Cabelas near you up in Canada or not, but that would be a very good solid press that will serve you a lifetime.

Do you have an idea of what you want or have as a budget?

Semper Fidelis,

Woolley
  7. woolleyworm

so long as you're a BRUINS fan !!!!! :):)
  8. polishshooter

Them's FIGHTIN' WORDS, Wooley!:eek::cool::p

LET'S- GO- BUFF-A-LO!

Sabres Fan since I was a 13 year old kid in WNY in 1971...and Schoenfeld kicked Orr's butt in that fight back in the 70s when he took him THROUGH the boards at the old Aud:p I did like Esposito though, at least he has class enough to ADMIT he was a "garbage collector.":D

But then Max is probably a Habs or Sens fan so we can argue in the same DIVISION:D
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  9. Maxlamenas

Maxlamenas New Member

my buget is around 700$ and i want reload 1000 rounds per years for all gun and is for recreation and huting and i want buy a 22-250 in the future

Yes i am a hockey fan Canadien for the cup
  10. woolleyworm

:D:D:D:D:D Boof-A-Lou ???? :D:D:D:D:D ROFLMAO They have fans???

11. woolleyworm

My suggestions would be the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme or the Dillon 550B. The classic cast Lee O-frame press is stout enough and has enough stroke for the 300RUM. I don't think a turret is what I would choose to load 300RUM on though. I've dealt with several brands of turrets and it's an easier job to resize large cases on a stout O-frame press.
  12. howlnmad

I would go with the Lee Classic Turret to get started and upgrade as you become more advanced. Lee is a great product to get started with but I would advise on a different scale. Don't forget your load manuals too and "The ABC's of Reloading" is a good one to get aswell. You'll want to read them and reread them.
    With a budget of $700.00 you can set yourself up nicely and have change to buy components with.
  13. polishshooter

Keep in mind that is $700 CANADIAN, which is worth now, with what Obama and his buddies are doing to us, like $1500 US maybe?:mad::cool::p

Seems like it anyway.:cool:

You should be OK. Heck, RCBS and Hornady and I think Lyman have reloading kits with just about everything you need and is of good quality, I would start with one of those and add what you need as you go.

Check out www.MidwayUSA.com and see what is available.

And your English is fine Max, and I like the Habitants much better than the Bruins anyway;). When I was a kid it seemed like every year the Sabres made the playoffs they would play Montreal. I LOVED Scotty Bowman and hated Ken Dryden until of course Bowman coached the Sabres, LOL.

And I LOVED the way they would introduce, Gilbert Perreault, Rick Martin, and Rene Robert in the forum. Didn't REALLY seem like the "French Connection" until you heard them introduced at the Forum.:p REE-SHARD MAR-TAN!:)