Starting new project

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

shooter22
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/22/01 5:30:43 pm)
    Reply Starting new project
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am starting a new 10/22 project. This will be my first with this caliber and model gun. I have several sources for products, but need advice on which barrel and stock, trigger jobs verses complete trigger replacement. I am going to use it only for target and competition(non organized). I am probably going with the stainless receiver. Any thoughts will be appreciated

shooter22

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (8/22/01 5:36:39 pm)
    Reply Re: Starting new project
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shooter22, first don`t waste the extra money on a stainless receiver....it is only polished aluminum just like the blued one, only not blued, just coated with a sealer. Easy to strip, if your just looking for the finish. Got lots of combo`s that I have built, really depends on how much fun you want to have. LTS
    "am not" R2

shooter22
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/22/01 10:36:41 pm)
    Yeah, as I got to looking at my nephews I noticed that. I am going with the blue also because it matches a scope I have in mind. Now, do I do a trigger job individually, have it done, or get something like the titanium assembly?. Due to chair and it scratches everything, I am going with a Hogue Overmolded rubber stock. Also, carbon fibre or steel? Fluted or not? Does a compensator really work on a 22? Does it just create more noise, is it functional?

shooter22

LIKTOSHOOT
    (8/22/01 10:49:01 pm)
    I personally don`t care for the Hogue stocks for a scoped gun. Barrels are going to be a wide selection. My hunting rig sports a cabon barrel, for reduced weight only. Target rig sports a steel barrel and is non-fluted. I have aslo began looking at dealing in the new "Titan" 10/22 barrels, but have no rounds through one yet. I like the comp barrel, for targets. Triggers are drop in parts, we only stone the finished product lightly....very easy to do. There is also a complete machined lower action for the 10/22, these allow for very tight fit-up of trigger,sear, and spring set up. I will get you a list of parts in a couple of ours in the morning, that should give you a feel and a starting place. LTS
    "am not" R2

shooter22
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/24/01 12:20:28 am)
    LTS have you ever seen a Hart barrel shoot in 10 22? I saw one at their site for $300+. Just curious, also about a Kimber for 1022. Saw on one GB.

shooter22

LIKTOSHOOT
    (8/24/01 7:20:20 am)
    Sorry I fell down on the job, I`ll list a couple for you later in the day. Time just flat got away from me. I have no experience with Hart barrels, but have heard of them. I have not heard of the Kimber barrels. The reason I`m taking a hard look at Titan barrels is they offer a 24" Comp, fluted and non-fluted and a light-weight barrel, and 18" barrels. These are high end barrels and are in the mid $300`s. They are also backed by a no questions ask lifetime warranty, free replacement for life......and are located in the Dallas, Tx area. Later this evening I`ll give you the breakdown of three of mine(all parts and hand work). LTS
    "am not" R2

LIKTOSHOOT
    (8/24/01 8:22:09 pm)
    Ok then.
    #1 Ruger 10/22....Turtle popper
    Butler Creek 20" .920 Steel barrel/non fluted
    Butler Creek .920 Target Stock
    Power Custom target hammer and trigger, stone finished and "1" complete coil clipped from the hammer spring.
    Ruger Factory extractor stoned on the leading edge and angle changed.
    Power Custom oversized Titanium firing pin.
    Oversized Titanium bolt handle
    Bolt face shaved just over a 1/16"
    Trigger and hammer shim kit.

Barrel is attached via....."JB Weld" (nasty) to the receiver for a solid mount....steel to aluminum. Looks good, sounds bad.
    Trigger pull is just under 2lbs, crisp...no take up nor overtravel.

This design is for house(shelf) ammo and will shoot 1/2" groups all day long, no matter what it is fed.....name brand ammo. 50 yard gun

#2 Ruger 10/22.....Hunting Rig....1-1/2 coils removed
    Same as above, with slightly more removed from the bolt face( designed for Remington Sub-Sonics only) but sports a Butler Creek 17" Carbon Fiber Barrel/ non comped and trigger is reduced to just at 1lbs. 3/8" or less@ 40 yards

#3 Ruger 10/22.....Hunting Rig
    Same as above,with slightly more removed from the bolt face but sports the 17" carbon Fiber Barrel with the comp.,and a modified sharp claw extractor (designed to shoot CCI Stingers only) Trigger reduced to .6lbs. 1/2" @ 75 yards

#4 Ruger 10/22.....Paper Rig....."No JB Weld"......3 coils removed.
    Same as above with closer hand fitting, but sports a custom .805 24" barrel, with a Volquartsen lower and cantalever(sp) scope mount. Trigger is .2lbs and this one will shoot 3/8" or less depending on the day and weather, with Ely Match from a bench......usally a ragged one hole for five rounds @ 50 yards

Good starting point, I have shot most barrels except the ones you mentioned...including the Vol`s. barrels. But so far have had great success with BC for the dollar invested.

Scopes used on all guns except the paper rig are Bushnell 4x12x40 A/O . Hope this gets you a starting point, have many more.......just let me know or ask. After 10 years, I`m still learning.....so maybe I can learn something else from you. Regards LTS

Have several more that are in the works and awaiting the new Titan barrels......
    "am not" R2

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/25/01 4:24:02 pm)
    LTS: Where did you get that info? If its from a book, I must have it. Whats the name of it.

One thing that has been forgotten and which is one of my personal favorites is an "extended mag release". Only cost a couple of dollars and really makes the gun a joy to shoot.

Guns don't cause crime anymore than flies caues garbage.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (8/25/01 4:57:45 pm)
    FL, no book....trial and error, and much dollars. The JB Weld was my invention (cheap skate) instead of the threaded receivers offered by the high end folks that begin with "V", mine may even be better, just sounds cheap, you would never know it to look at one of mine and it can be removed too....a light amount of heat and the rap of a rubber mallet; wa`la add a new barrel. Give me a file, stone, JB Weld, and some Flitz....I`ll make a shooter if it kills me. I build`em for me and just a few who still squirrel hunt with a .22......no challenge with a shotgun....not for me anyway. LTS
    "am not" R2