Starting to Reload Again

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by RodinKy, Oct 26, 2011.

1. RodinKy

RodinKy Member

After an absence of 30 years I decided to start reloading again. I won't go into which press, etc but will say I just want to reload to plink with my 357, 44 and AR. Does anyone have a really good plinking load for the 44 using lead bullets, I don't want to continually shoot full mag loads. Also has anyone used lead bullets for the AR, I saw a load for them in my manual and was curious if anyone used them and how they performed. Thanks in advance from a redneck hillbilly. BTW I just reloaded some 44s and shot them this morning and didn't blow anything up, just lucky I guess.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I reload for .44spl, and .44 Mag. I use AA No.9 with a 240gr SWC, 18.1grs for 1,255fps. I also load my hunting rounds, 240gr Hornady XTP's with 15.2grs of #7 to achive about the same in fps.
  3. garydude

garydude Member

Consider Power Pistol for your mid-range 357's and your 44 mag light loads. For the 44, I have become rather fond of 7.5 grains of Power Pistol under a 240 LSWC loaded in a mag case. Just torched off 100 of these babies this AM. Recoil from my 4'' model 29 is about the same as a stout 45ACP round in a 1911.

Alliant Powder lists many great loads if you should happen to use their powders. Lots of folks seem to be fond of unique in their lighter 44 mag or special loadings as well.