States That Require Permits

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by OBrien, Sep 17, 2009.

1. OBrien

OBrien New Member

For those of you that live in states that require you get taught gun safety before they let you get a permit to own a gun. If your either in the military or prior service does that superseed the class?

Here in Maine the only permit required is for concealed carry and you either need proof of a gun safety course or a DD-214. The DD-214 is accepted if you have not taken a "formal" safety course. I was just wondering if it worked this way in other states an if not which states are those so I know not to move there. lol
  2. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

In NC, you have to have a permit to purchase a pistol. This permit only requires a background check, no training. If you are former military, you must present a DD-214 to prove you were not dishonorably discharged. You go to the county sheriff, fill out the form, and they tell you when to call and check. Once approved, you pay $5 per permit (up to five permits), allowing you to purchase one handgun per permit. The permits are good for 5 years.

For a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP), you must present a certificate of completion for an approved CHP instruction course, which includes a live fire portion. The class generally runs about 6-8 hours and can cost anywhere from $60-$150, depending on where you go. (Mine was $60.) You then go to the county sheriff's office, fill out an application, pay $80, submit a set of fingerprints (which costs another $10), present a DD-214 (if applicable to prove you were discharge under honorable conditions), valid ID, etc. You will be notified by mail when the permit has arrived from Raleigh. The permit is good for 5 years and costs $85 to renew. If you allow it to expire, then you have to reapply from the beginning. When purchasing a pistol, you can present the CHP in lieu of a purchase permit. When buying a long gun, you can present a CHP in lieu of going through the NICS, although you still fill out the 4473.

NC does not recognise military service as a substitute for going through the state mandated CHP training course.:mad:
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  3. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

wow, in Indiana we just buy guns. they have a federal call in check that takes 5 minutes tops, but if you are a good citizen you leave with it when you buy it. If you want to carry a gun you can get a lifetime personel protection permit for $125 that allows you to carry any and all lawfully obtained firearms.
  4. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

No restrictions on how many handguns we can have here in NV. In Clark County the "handguns capable of being concealed" must be registered. No permit needed to purchase the firearm necessarily. Just a background check and registration.
  5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

NH CCL application is filed with the local police and they do a background check and check three references you supply. If nothing negative is turned up that justifies rejection then the permit is shall issue. I have had mine for over 20 years. It costs $10 and lasts for 4 years. It gives me 22 states I can carry in.

To buy a handgun you need to find one or two or however many you like and after passing the instant check, pay for them and take them home.
  6. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

In Minnesota, we need a permit from the sheriff to buy handguns, it is free of charge and they do a background check. For concealed carry, they require a $100 class by a certified instructor with a proficiency test, then a $100 fee and application to the sheriff. After five years, the permit expires, the class has to be taken again (which is mostly an explanation of the complex laws and requirements of carry) for $100, but if the sheriff's department application goes in early, the fee is less than $100 to renew.

I am glad I went ahead and got my concealed carry permit, I saved the money for a year to get it!
  7. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

In Tennessee we just purchase what we want, err . . . what we can afford! No purchase permit needed. Prior mil service negates the training needed for the CWP classes, although a CWP still must be applied for in those instances.
  8. mark_baron

mark_baron New Member

In Florida no permit is required to buy any firearm (except full auto). A call-in is required ($5) and a waiting period. If you have a CWP no waiting period is required, just walk out with your purchase (after the call-in).

A CWP requires some form of training (a copy of the class certificate is required to be submitted with the initial application) but a DD-214 is acceptable as meeting the training requirement.
  9. 45nut

45nut Active Member

In Texas, if you have a CHL, they don't even do the instant back ground check. If you don't, it only takes about 5 minutes with no charge.

We don't need no stinkin license to purchase anything except type III weapons. :D
  10. navis128

navis128 New Member

I was also told that here in the Lone Star State, I provide my id and then wait three days before I can take it home, for the background check. However, we can carry in our vehicle without a CHL. I think that might be just so you can transport your purchase to your house.

As far as the DD 214 goes, if you submit a copy with your CHL application, the fee is lower.

I don't believe the safety course is required, but they are offered for a price.
  11. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

"shall not be infringed" means you dont need a permit
  12. OBrien

OBrien New Member

I agree but it is interesting to see how much the laws vary from state to state.
  13. kingnothingugm

kingnothingugm Member

Man...these threads always get my blood boiling...:mad:2nd amendment you know:mad:...but I understand the nature of the thread...it's laughable to see some of the "laws" in each state.:rolleyes:
  14. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

In SC, you need a permit to carry a firearm concealed on your person.

To purchase a handgun, or any gun, you only need to submit to an instant background check. If you possess a concealed weapons permit, the background check is waived. A firearms/firearms law course is needed to obtain the concealed weapons permit. In either case, you walk out with the gun the same day.

It's funny how crime involving recent legal purchasers of firearms is virtually non-existant around here. Most crimes, as with anywhere, involve career criminals and/or those who have obtained firearms illegally.
  15. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I live in New York.

Don't get me started . . . . .