Stay With Me Here ..... It's Just A Scratch!

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Admin, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Admin

Admin Active Member Staff Member

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/3/02 3:04:04 pm)
    Stay With Me Here ..... It's Just A Scratch!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Don't truly recall exactly how many times I or my Brothers have said these words to a wounded Brother and yet it did not seem to work .....

SHOCK .....

Thats what I am talkin' bout here and I saw that very same scenario take the lives of many when in reality it was not a mortal wound so to speak.

I have held Brothers in my arms that were "literally cut in half" and spoke to them for quite some time considering that there was only "half" of a human being there. There were times when this conversation went on for 15 ... 20 ... and even 30 minutes before they slowly drifted into another life and it was indeed a sad and painful experience to say the least.

But when I really think about the fact that a person that was indeed "cut in two" could even live that long as opposed to others I have seen that bled no more than a paper cut from a very small wound and expire because they went into SHOCK simply blows my mind.

Its funny I guess how the mind works when it comes to SHOCK and I truly believe that we would not have lost as many as we did if it were'nt for that nasty word and what it can do to some people. Just kinda strange to me to see someone cut in half and live for quite some time and yet another dies within a minute because he went into SHOCK because he truly believed he was going to die from a very minor wound.

Don't get me wrong here because I myself am no Superman after being wounded three different times and maybe it's simply "mind over matter" but I remember each time I got hit and the thought of dying never really crossed my mind at that instant. Maybe thats why I did'nt go into SHOCK.

The last time I got hit I had three big holes in each thigh, a big gaping hole in my left hand and lost one of my gonads in the process as well as numerous fragmentation in my head and other body parts and yet I "ran like deer" when it came time to boogie out of that house in Hue City. If I suffered any SHOCK at that moment it must have been the kind that gave me the "jolt" to get the hell outta there as opposed to giving in to taking a dirt nap.

Strange thing for sure ........ SHOCK that is ...... It can kill ya faster than a bullet!

"What more can I say ..... I was at the wrong place at the wrong time"

Edited by: SixTGunr at: 6/3/02 4:06:50 pm

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (6/4/02 7:08:25 am)
    Re: Stay With Me Here ..... It's Just A Scratch!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We called the treatment BBS----BLEEDING, BREATHING, and SHOCK. I recall all of our classes we tought the troops about first-aid and self-aid, those were the foundation of it all. All those class lesson plans were prepared by Medical Doctors or Hospital Corpsman so we considered it 'straight scoop'. I really got cought up with your story Guns----I know you have seen and experienced a great deal more than I, but still I felt that I was there as you related those terrible things. I have only seen one friendly casualty 'cut in half' --I have told you the story about Jonesy when he took a work crew into that old French ammo dump in DaNang to lay concertina---when he jumped off the duece and a half, that 'bouncing Betty' tore him in two pieces---there was so much sharpnel, the 12 gauge shotgun he was packing had holes blown thru the barrel---Hospital corpsman Burdin crawled in to administer to Jonesy---maybe he said those words that day to Jonesy-- "it's just a scratch". I'm glad you made it home Gunner---just wasn't your time---He just didn't plan your life to be wasted over there. Wilborn

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/4/02 9:20:02 am)
    Me happy 2 Chief. Now of course that day I got zapped in Hue I did manage to make it only about 100 yards or so before I started "feeling" the reality but after that second mortar round came into the room we were in it did'nt take me and a few others to turn from combat Marines to Olympic sprinters in one tick of the second hand on a watch.

Funny about the shock thing as I looked down at my blood soaked crotch .....

Only thing that came to my mind at that instant was that I wanted to find that NVA mortar team and do some surgical incisions myself via M60 .....

Took me a while to make my way to the command post and the corpsman who was on the second story of yet another building but I finally made it and it was'nt long after that where I lost consciousness. Woke up in yet another bombed out building where a bunch of us layed on stretchers till the next day when they could finally get us medivaced out.

Those were the days hey .........

haggai69
    (6/4/02 10:27:44 am)
    Not to be morbid, but I know what you mean about how someone who is mortally wounded (cut in half) can keep going. I saw a man cut in half in a traffic accident a while back. He was on a motorcycle on a slight down grade at a traffic light. There was a car in front of him and a truck coming up behind. Unfortunately the truck couldn't stop in time and plowed into the motorcycle and then the car in front of him. The top half of the man on the motorcycle flew into the intersection. It was the most amazing, gruesome, heart wrenching thing to watch this man try to push himself off of the pavement. I still see it in my mind some nights when I'm trying to fall asleep. No one knew what to do... I guess there really wasn't anything we could do...

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/4/02 11:12:47 am)
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience with this type of scenario haggai. Sounds like you have a slight touch of what we go through in our dreams and nightmares as well on occassion. When you experience situations such as this it is branded in your mind for eternity while you are on this earth. Some things will just "never" go away. Have a great day! :) Six Out!

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/10/02 9:03:01 am)
    I suppose the shock "feature", if you will, helps some people to distance themselves from the reality of the situation.

I think, however, that everyone is different, and Six, from what I've gathered you're an incredibly strong person, strong minded, strong willed, etc. - these are just some of the reasons why you were able to get your ass outta that situation - instead of going into that shocked state.