Stealing honor - is it free speach

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by killbuck, Feb 4, 2010.

1. killbuck

killbuck New Member

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Legal/Default.aspx?id=882214

Stealing honor - is it constitutionally protected?
    Chad Groening - OneNewsNow - 2/4/2010 6:00:00 AM

An organization dedicated to honoring the nation's prisoners of war and missing in action service members is outraged that a federal law against lying about military medals is facing First Amendment challenges. Lawyers in California and Colorado cases have made similar arguments against the "Stolen Valor Act," saying that lying is protected by the First Amendment unless it does real harm.

A California judge rejected the motion to dismiss a charge against Xavier Alvarez of falsely claiming he received the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military decoration. Alvarez is appealing on free speech grounds. Meanwhile in Colorado, Richard Glen Strandlof is awaiting trial on charges of falsely claiming he received a Purple Heart and Silver Star. He pleaded "not guilty" on both, and the judge has not ruled on motions raising the free-speech argument.

Chuck Schantag, chairman of the P.O.W. Network, one of the groups that pushed for enactment of the Stolen Valor Act, says that what these men are doing is just plain wrong.

"As a veteran of Vietnam who did get wounded in '68, I have a problem with this," he argues. "They want to steal our honor, but they don't want any of the pain it took to get it. And to actually challenge this law as free speech is absolutely ludicrous, unbelievable."

The Network's chairman adds that many of those making the false claims have used fraudulent records to gain V.A. benefits. "We've seen cases where phonies have collected better than a half-million dollars of our tax dollars in benefits," Schantag notes. "To think that I paid tax for all those years just to have it given to some phony...."

The Vietnam veteran concludes it is unfortunate that there are not enough prosecutors willing to file charges against the tens of thousands of individuals around the country he believes are doing this.
  2. MOS0311

MOS0311 New Member

There are organizations at the VA that catch these imposters.
    It is said that there are 350 phony SEALs to every real SEAL that attempt to get benefits.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

time these lowlives got "visited" in the dead of night

of course i mean nightmares ;)

ya know??

jack
  4. red14

red14 Active Member

I hear you Jack. As someone who never earned a medal, Naval Air Reserve 1969-75, I am angry. I honor those who EARNED those medals.

They should be punished to the fullest extent of the law!!!
  5. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Maybe if this law can be upheld against these liars and thieves we can start applying the law against the liars in Govt. but I guess that depends on what the meaning of is is.

Failure of prosecutors to go after these people shows that they too are without honor and need to be replaced in the next election. Don't expect the press to shine the light of truth on these people because they too are corrupt.

Note my signature line.
  6. red14

red14 Active Member

It becomes more true every day!!!
  7. petesusn

petesusn New Member

If these people want a Purple Heart so bad I'd be more than willing to give them a reason for a couple.
    I rightfully earned every one of my awards and I don't need some a$$hole poser to cheapen them.
    Man...this kind of sh*t just pi$$es me off to no end.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  8. red14

red14 Active Member

I hear you Buddy. I can't stand these idiots wearing a shirt, with our flag in it, hangin' over their a$$, or sitting on a patch with one. Just burns me up.

I tell jerks, at our park, to take their hat off during the National Anthem, and I get dirty looks!!! Who raises these people?
  9. red14

red14 Active Member

I'd really like to tear it off their chest, and smack them across the face. :mad::mad: Slap them, they don't deserve a punch.:mad: