steel casing ammo, your thoughts.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cowboy898, Dec 3, 2011.

1. cowboy898

cowboy898 New Member

I have been watching the commercials about this new cheap ammo and I have to wonder if this is a bad thing. For years the government has been looking for a way to put a time limit on the age of ammo and I wonder if that is what this is? To the best of my knowledge you can not reload steel casings, so there is one limit. And steel rusts and will make the ammo unusable, limit number two. I know the cheaper ammo is a good thing, but at what expense? Let me know what you think about this.
  2. obxned

obxned New Member

If you reload, the fact that the once-fired cases are useless to you is a big deal. For those of us who do not, less expensive steel cased ammo is a nice option.
  3. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Steel cased ammo does not expand like brass does when firing and can impart more bolt thrust in rifle cartridges and quicker unlock times in pistols. It is also harder on extractors.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I don't buy it, and I don't shoot it in any of my guns. I figure that if it's bad news for my carbide dies, it's no good in gun either! I do reload what I shoot.
  5. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

Yep, I don't buy it either
  6. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

I shoot it and don't currently reload. Mini 14 target and NRA Mini 14, 9mm, .45 1911. If it was bad for the guns, why would Hornady have steel cases?

"Steel cased ammo does not expand like brass does when firing and can impart more bolt thrust in rifle cartridges and quicker unlock times in pistols. It is also harder on extractors."

Steel Does expand when fired. It may not deform like brass.
    Impart more bolt thrust on bolt face. I don't think so.
    Harder on extractors, Possibly Wolf steel coating can cause extractor problems,

Hornady
    Uncompromising accuracy and performance in a new economical alternative from Hornady
    Featuring Hornady Match rifle bullets or HAP (Hornady Action Pistol) handgun bullets, Steel Match ammunition is loaded at the Hornady factory with optimized propellant for each load that provides consistency and the highest levels of accuracy. Utilizing coated steel cartridge cases, and non-corrosive berdan primers, Steel Match ammunition delivers Hornady quality and performance, but with an economical price (saves as much as 40% when compared to brass case match ammo).

Glen
  7. cowboy898

cowboy898 New Member

Glens67,

I did not mean that the ammo was bad for the gun, I was saying that it was bad because the ammo will not last as long as ammo with brass casings. I know it works good in firearms and does not damage them.

I am talking about the amount of time that you will be able to store the ammo in an ammo can with out it going bad because the steel casings will rust through and we will not be able to use it. Thus putting a time limit on ammo.

Did I state that right?

Cowboy
  8. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

for going to the range i would buy the cheaper ammo and use it that day. for stockpiling, stick with brass.
  9. cowboy898

cowboy898 New Member

But what is going to happen if all ammo makers start making only steel cased ammo? we're screwed.
  10. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

I use it and buy bulk when it's real cheap, real cheap! When I don't feel like picking up brass and just want to plink in my 7.62X39 & .223. I haven't noticed a problem yet, but would never consider it for serious shooting.
  11. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Steel case in actuality has a longer shelf life than brass.
  12. cowboy898

cowboy898 New Member

I did not know that. Do you know the shelf life of steel?
  13. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Quality produced steel ammo which will be fully lacquered has an indefinite shelf life. It would only be limited by the decomposition rate of powder in a fully air tight container.
  14. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

open Russian ammo from WWII, looked brand new, like just manufactured.
    Have some 7.65 MN been open several years not showing any rust or
    corrosion. So far So good.
  15. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I don't buy nice guns to use cheap crap ammo in them.

My 3 main rifles are all $1k plus. I shoot reloads ONLY and in my 308 I use only Laupa Brass.