Steel Core Penetrator bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by glockman19, Nov 26, 2009.

1. glockman19

glockman19 New Member

Can anyone give some info about Steel Core Penetrator bullets.
  2. glockman19

glockman19 New Member

I guess what I would like to know is do they damage the barrel I kinda figure they were a low grade armor Piercing round. I have seen some projectiles I was thinking about buying to reload. Does anyone know much about pulled projectiles.
  3. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

They wont wear your barrel any more than a normal bullet will. The steel core is internal. It is the part outlined in red in the image below. Note that it is still encased in a copper jacket.

The SS109 is the Belgian (where it originated) designation for the actual projectile. The NATO standard version of the round is M855. It is 62 grains and works best in at least a 1-in-9 twist barrel. The faster 1-in-7 will work as well. It has a somewhat negative reputation among U.S. troops engaged in current conflicts because it is designed to penetrate old soviet helmets and body armor. It doesn't fragment in soft tissue as easily as the older M193 (55 grain), or the newer Mk 262 Mod 1 (77 grain).