Steel cored ammo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LDBennett, Sep 7, 2011.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

This Labor Day was a bit disappointing. We had driven three hours to spend the weekend with my daughter and the grand kids. My son-in-law and I headed over to the range in Kern River Valley in California that we belonged to, only to be turned away due to ammo issues.

The club has suffered too loose of a leadership that had failed to do the required legal things to assure continued use of the range site on Forest Service lands. A new bunch of people took over the club and got it back on track but changed some of the rules and regulations. The one that affects us is "No steel cored ammo". My son-in-law does not reload and buys surplus ammo, virtually all of which is steel cored. I too have calibers that I only buy surplus ammo for. Between the two of us we have tons of steel cored ammo.

The result of all this is the range is no longer useful to us as we can not shoot the ammo we have already purchased. What tee's me off is that no notice of this change was ever issued. If I had known of this regulation I would not have renewed my membership. Being 150 miles from the club headquarters precludes attending meetings. I suspected that this management change would have consequences and I was right... I sent back my membership card and asked for a refund of the remaining months of my membership. I had belonged for about 10 years.

I know, many ranges limit ammo but due process was in order here as many people today buy and shoot surplus steel cored ammo as it is about the only ammo that is affordable anymore. I suspect as club members find out about this regulation there may be many more club members drop out (??).

Thank goodness the rest of the weekend was enjoyable. We went shooting with the 22's in a local canyon where target shooting is allowed with virtually no regulations and no one looking over your shoulder to make sure you are following all the rules.

Oh well. That's life... ups and downs!

LDBennett
  2. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

That really bites. At least the rest of the weekend went well.