Steel Shot in Winchester 59

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Xtremehulk
    (5/8/02 11:39:43 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Steel Shot
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a Winchester Model 59. It has a Win-Lite barrel. It is not recomended to use Steel shot in the barrel. Is there a substitute for Steel that is legal for waterfowl?

Thanks,
    Paul

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/9/02 12:14:56 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Steel Shot
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Some of the manufaturers have Bismuth out to replace steel shot. I do not know what effectes Bismuth might have on your barrel, and I would check with a good gunsmith to see if it is OK to use before buying any and trying it in your shotgun.
    RuffItt

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/9/02 12:51:23 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Steel Shot
    You run a significant risk of seperating the barrel lining using anything other than standard lead field loads in the Winchester 59. These guns are becoming scarcer in top condition, and a barrel without splits is a must-have.

Stick with modern thicker-walled steel barrel guns for waterfowl.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson