Steel shot

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by packetsplace, Sep 29, 2008.

1. packetsplace

packetsplace New Member

Im sure this has probably been covered before, but I have a dilemma. I have just been told that only steel shot will be allowed in the upcoming dove hunt I plan to attend on Oct. 4. None of my shotguns have chrome lined bores. I have read scant info on this subject with no real answers. IE: I havent found any technical data from shotshell manufacturers. Does anyone have any links to some good tech data regarding the use of steel shot in non chrome lined barrels?
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

How new is your shotgun? If it's fairly new...built after steel shot became common place...it should be fine. If you've got interchangeable chokes, you might want to try the next larger choke than what you'd normally run your lead loads through. Most new guns have a heavy enough barrel wall at the choke area that they won't get hammered out too badly by steel shot. If your gun is older and has a thin barrel, depends on the make/model, you might be able to get a replacement barrel that has interchangeable chokes and is heavy enough to stand up to extended use of steel shot.

(It would be best to pattern your shotgun with the loads you're using to see which choke will give you the pattern you're looking for.)

None of the barrels for my shotguns are chrome-lined either...my Sportsman 12 (cheap 870) with a 28" Rem-Choke barrel has had a lot of steel through it and I haven't noticed it getting peened out of shape yet.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  3. packetsplace

packetsplace New Member

All of my shotguns are SxS. Two of them were made in the sixties. One is a Simpson and Son 20 ga, and the other is a J. P. Sauer 12 ga. The barrels on both are not thin and may be nickle steel.
  4. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    DO NOT fire steel in those two! Find out if they only allow steel or if non-toxic shot will work. If you can use non-toxic, try bismith or poly-iron shot. These can be used in non-steel rated barrels.
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup. Do not run steel shot through those two guns! Mtnboomer's suggestion for bismuth would be okay for em.

Darn...here I was hoping you'd have a vintage pump or semi that you could just update it a bit with a new barrel.
  6. Shellback

Shellback New Member

What about copper coated BB's???
  7. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Shellback, I don't think he wants to use BB's on dove. The pattern will have too many holes, and if he actually manages to hit a dove with a BB load, the BB's will tear the bird's breast to pieces.
    Most importantly, the copper coating on copper coated steel shot does not give enough buffer to make a difference. He CANNOT use anything in those guns that says "steel" on the box, no matter what they are coated with.
  8. packetsplace

packetsplace New Member

Well gentlemen, I did shoot steel through the Simpson 20 ga. I checked the bores after every other shot and could see no damage. I ended up shooting about 40 rounds and after a thourough cleaning, the bores look brand new, no scoring at all. I think this is because the gun has nickel-steel barrels and must be hard enough to take it.
  9. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Glad it worked out for you and did not damage the shotgun. By the way, is the steel shot requirement a new Florida law, or is the land owner from California?
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  10. packetsplace

packetsplace New Member

The land owner is a really nice guy but he got the idea that all that lead shot would hurt his land. Who am I to argue when he provides us a great millet field to hunt on. All I have to do for the privilege is to help maintain the field. As I enjoy driving the tractor anyway, its a small price to pay.