step-dad passed away

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by smtaylor0117, Oct 6, 2010.

1. smtaylor0117

smtaylor0117 New Member

Please help...my step-dad passed away recently and I am trying to help my mother sell some of his guns. She lives in a different state so I can't take the guns somewhere to have them looked at for her. Any help on price you can give would be appreciated......she has no idea what she has and does not want to get taken.

Browning 30-06 Belgium made with Leopold 3x9 XII scope - in perfect condition

Browning lever action Model 1206 .22 rifle still in box - in perfect condition

Winchester model 12 pump action 12 guage shotgun - has date stamps of late 1800's

Winchester Model 12 pump action 410 guage

Browning Model 8 over/under Belgium made chamber for 3" mag

Browning 12 guage shotgun 2 3/4" mag Belgium made

Winchester Model 37, 16 guage shotgun 2 3/4" mag, made in USA

Thanks again for any help with these :)
  2. kingcuke

kingcuke Member

If there's no desire to keep the guns in the family an auction is often the best and simplest way to sell guns as a lot. A dealer may buy them, but is not likely to pay as much as the auction price. Firearms auctions, at least in my area, are well attended and guns often but not always tend to sell pretty close to market or market+.
    Auctions might be a bit more common in a rural area like mine, but auctioneers are easy to find.
    As with anything condition is very important in determining value and pictures are always informative and fun to look at. Browning and Winchester are desirable guns don't sell too cheap and be suspicious of anyone who wants to buy them all for a few hundred.
  3. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Member

You might buy a copy of the Blue Book of Gun Values.

LINK

You can find them in most book stores.

Realize that minor differences in model numbers, serial numbers, caliber, etc., can impact the value.

She could take them down to a local pawn shop and see what they offer her. The value will be about double whatever they offer her.

You can also compare the prices you find over at Gun Broker.com. Those prices are usually higher than what a gun is worth.

LINK
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  4. muddober

muddober Active Member

You have some very desirable guns but it would be impossible to give you values without good pictures. I would suggest that you go to one of gun auction sites by Googling guns for sale and that will help you with pricing. Pay close attention to bid prices and not asking prices. You as an individual can sell guns on those sites but you must ship the gun to an FFL dealer.

Also your model 12 410 is not a model 12 it is a model 42. Your model 12, 12 gauge if in fact it is a model 12 was not made until 1912 or later. Your Browning over/under is not a model 8 but rather it will be a name grade such as Superposed, Pigeon, Pointer etc.

Ron