Sterling Model 400

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by gaowlpoop, Aug 10, 2009.

1. gaowlpoop

gaowlpoop New Member

A friend of mine has a Sterling Mark II Model 400 .380.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He told me that about 20 years ago, he lost the extractor and associated springs and followers. He wants me to try and make an extractor and other assorted parts.

I have been unsuccessful on finding the information I need on this weapon.

1. How do you field strip it? I found the disassembly screw on the right side. Do you push it in or do you remove it. It is spring loaded. After you do whatever to the screw, then what. I have pushed it in and could not remove the slide. I have removed it and could not remove the slide. There must be a trick?

2. Could someone please post a picture of the extractor. I have found a couple of diagrams on line but they are not detailed enough to build another extractor.

Thanks
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

3. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

From my numerous observations, Sterling pistols were of rather low quality, usually unreliable, and in at least one case, unsafe. They have been out of business for about 15 to 30 years. Normally, I will not work on them for potential liability considerations.

Unless one of the non manufacturer gun parts suppliers {such as Gun Parts Corp. (aka Numrich), Bob's Gun Parts in Royal, AK, or Jack First out in a high plains state} has the extractor and associated missing parts; you will spend more time (at fair market wages) trying to make them than the repaired pistol will be worth.

Unless your metalworking knowledge and skill level is that of a bonafide journeyman toolmaker, die maker, or similar metalworking skilled tradesman, the extractor, that you will likely fabricate, will not likely last very long. From your photo, it appears that the original extractor broke and fell out along with its associated parts. Sterling was not known for good design or QC.
  4. noCTurnal

noCTurnal New Member

[​IMG]Hello, I recently purchased a Sterling .380 D/A model 400 pistol at an estate sale. I noticed that the slide would not lock back when I racked it with an empty clip. I took the slide off and noticed that I was missing a metal plate and a spring that sits under the slide. I watched this video on you tube of a tear down of this pistol, (mark II version), it shows the plate and spring that I'm missing, here's the link to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sflXBHZYctk
    I need to know what the name of those pieces are and are the mark II version and mine interchangeable. Please help me, I dont wanna just chalk this piece up as a loss and would like to fix it. If you know anything about this gun or know where I can find these pieces it would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks again
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  5. noCTurnal

noCTurnal New Member

I THINK THAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR THE SAME THING!!!!
  6. noCTurnal

noCTurnal New Member

Ok I called jackfirstguns.com and I believe the plate I'm missing is a "hold open ejector" I just need to know what the name of the spring that sits on top of that is called...It looks like an elongated question mark. You can see exactly what I'm talking about in the youtube video link that I posted in my earlier blog...
    SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Its called the hold open spring. Numrich is out of them.
  8. noCTurnal

noCTurnal New Member

thanks so much...yeah I called them too...no dice. well at least I know what I'm looking for now!!!
  9. water

water New Member

push in and rotate the screw in front of the trigger guard, 90 degrees to lower the slide buffer block and be ae to pull the slide back and off,

some of the original transfer bars and extractors had bad heat treat and failed early and frequently,

when the transfer bar shaft breaks the pistol goes on full rock and roll

by another pistol like it for 200 and get all the measurements you need, makea few spare parts and dont forget to heat treat.

IT is really a 2000 round pistol or so before it needs parts, slide springs weaken extremely quickly also, changing the timing of the pistol. (comes back forward to battery to quick and jamming,

also mag spring pressure needs to be stout, or slide slowed slightly to get that next round up fast enough to keep from jamming on the way in.

But it is a very accurate little pistol, just a little tender
  10. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Hi, new-join here. This thread got my attention during an internet search.

I bought mine used a number of years ago, the PO never broke it down for cleaning! It's in fairly good condition and I like it for it's carry-size and the similarity to my old 45 when I was in the Corps.

I've read and heard nothing but bad stuff about it, but mine seems to be working fairly fine. :confused:

It does seem to have the occasional "feed" issue, and some lock tite will keep the trigger pin from walking it's way out of the hole in the future. I've fired Marine Corps weapons that were worse off than that. ;) I just chalked it up to being a used weapon that wasn't taken care of properly.

I want to thank the person who came up with the fix for the underside of the slide.
  11. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

MSGT-R,
    Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service to our country. Welcome home, brother!
  12. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Umm.. sister.

Thank you, but it's been a few years since I retired :cool:
  13. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Ulp - sister it is. Doesn't matter when you retired - Welcome Home is a standard greeting for all Vets - WW2, Korea, Viet Nam, Gulf, Iraq, Afganistan, moon landings - at least here in PA. You can hear it very often at gunshows - when the Vets are out wearing their hats, or the younger guys have some item of issue stuff on. Not enough recognition and thanks coming our way, in my stilted opinion.
    IMG_2329_2.jpg
  14. Paul56

Paul56 New Member

I also just came across this thread during a search, and thought that one of you here might be able to lend your expertise to help me with my Sterling Arms Model 400.

I bought the gun new 30 years ago, haven't put more than 500 rounds through it in all that time, but now the firing pin is sticking. I'd like to remove the firing pin to clean it. I still have the owner's manual (and original box), but the manual only describes the disassembly mentioned above by water.

So...does anyone know how to remove the firing pin on the Sterling Arms Model 400?

I've been trying to gently remove it for days, and searching the web for weeks, so any help will be appreciated very much!
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  15. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I've always cleaned it in-place using aerosol brake cleaner while working the pin back and forth. All sorts of crap flushes out of there! Follow it up with some oil and it shouldn't stick anymore.
  16. Paul56

Paul56 New Member

I've been using a small syringe to place drops of Hopps Powder Solvent on the hammer end of the firing pin, and hoping it will drip through and clean out any crap...but I like your idea much better. Thanks! I'll give it a try.
  17. busykngt

busykngt Member

I'm in agreement; I like mine just fine. Agreed, it's not the same quality
    as a $600-$900 gun but then again I paid $170 for it new, in October of
    1981. Bought mine at a Gibson's (kind of a Walmart type store) in Austin,
    TX and while I haven't put very many rounds through it over the years, I
    think it's always offered the kind of home protection I expected for the
    price. I've never had it jam; .380 D/A Model 400 Mark II and it's fun to
    shoot.
  18. busykngt

busykngt Member

What's the opposite of "lemon"? Maybe I got one of those.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  19. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

A Peach. ;)
  20. busykngt

busykngt Member

Peach it is! :patriotic:

Thanks MSGT.

And Jim, I would've made the same mistake - thanks for keeping us straight MSGT, from an exArty officer (long ago). And Jim I recognized the 9th - I came down on orders to Ft. Lewis - spent two or three weeks up there and was recalled to Ft. Sill (sure didn't miss all that dxxn rain!).