Sterling Model 400

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by gaowlpoop, Aug 10, 2009.

1. aj982

aj982 New Member

I have one also. It works very well as long as it's maintained. I had a problem getting flat nose or hollow point rounds to load into the chamber but a little smoothing and polishing did the trick.

Forgive me for not reading the entire post if someone answered this already but to remove the slide, you have to push in the screw and turn it clockwise 90 deg then pull the slide back, lift up and return forward. If you removed the screw, it's going to be hard to screw it back into the locking mechanism and you should hear some moving parts clanking around in there (that's the locking mechanism). If you hear that, you just have to shake and wiggle the pistol while pulling back the slide, lifting up. By shaking and wiggling you are trying to get the locking mechanism to lay flat (unlock position) as if you turned the screw the right way.

As for the firing pin, read my reply in: http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=88717&highlight=sterling+400

As for the extractor... It's a pain to re-install but I will try to get you some pics/dimensions soon.
  2. WGAMatt

WGAMatt New Member

Hello I'm new here mostly joined because of this thread about the sterling 400 worked on a few and custom rebuilt one for my mother to have fixed a lot of thing on some of those mostly safety lever breaking had the take down screw break on one, one or two lost slide latch spring had to make new ones but thats an ez one you can make one out of a bobby pin yes like the one your wife would were in her hair just thin it down and bend to fit it its all ready a spring so no metal tempering needed, slide lock wont work, feeding problems trigger jobs are hard cause its cheep metal and wont last. the biggest problem is you just cant find parts for the gun the one for my mother made alot of parts for that one just to make it better so it wont break down later on. Any questions I'll be happy to help the best I can, I know how it can be not knowing about one of your guns and cant find anything about it.
    Matt
  3. izman62

izman62 New Member

The screw on the right side of the gun under the slider needs to be pushed inward and turn a bit. It should lock in. You then make sure your hammer is slid back, then this way you can take the slider off. I have one blue steel color. Had it for 28 years. First gun I brought when I had my first son. I can't ever see gettting rid of it. Only problem I have now with it, is that the slider screw on the side broke, and something inside where that screw onto broke, now I can't take it apart. I am looking for a parts kit to redo the gun repairs.... I think I will one day, take the firepin out and mount it on a plaque for being the first firearm in my life... LOL
  4. izman62

izman62 New Member

I never had problems with it not fireing. I had a lot of problems with the safety lever dropping into safe mode (due to it is loose). I think I am gonna have to take to gun smith, for they have the correct tools to fix. Only thing that bother me is that the parts are hard to find. So, for all the rest of firearms I have now, I have brough spare parts and bag, marked, and put it away in box somewhere in Garage. Learned that if you have a firearm, should have spare kit for it... :)
  5. izman62

izman62 New Member

Believe it or not, I took my out after 27 years just a few weeks ago. I got the info from the internet.
  6. izman62

izman62 New Member

try looking on line for the best ammo to use. My Bersa Thunder 380 jams quite a bit, especially with Winchester, Gold Dots, etc... Only one that works well and have not jammed yet, and I ran 300 rounds thru it, is: Remington Saber 380 (102 grain). The range master showed me the roundness of the bullet has something to do with it.... Its expensive to target shoot, but I rather pay a litter more... You know what make sense is what a sales person told me. "We use target FMJ to shoot, but we hardly target shoot with the defense rounds we use". :)
  7. rmac41

rmac41 New Member

I just joined the site also because of this thread. can`t believe I haven`t ran across this site before.
    I have a model 400 da stainless, was a good shooter, accurate, but the safety lever broke Any info on where to find one and how to replace it would be wonderful.
    I have been looking at the E-gun parts for a couple of months. ( thanks for the link to that earlier in this thread)
    trying to decide ... fix it or sell it .
    Thanks for any info,
    Rick
  8. bobg`12

bobg`12 New Member

Sterling Arms rented half of the building that i worked in. Only one of the 4 local dealers would sell them. Think the price then in the early 80's was $49.95.
    I did own a Sterling X-Caliber in 357 Mag. Sold it before i ever fired it. It was a copy of a Contender. Seems like TC told them if they wanted to avoid a law suit maybe they better stop making them. Only difference was you push a button to open it up. No trigger guard that needed pulled.
  9. bobg`12

bobg`12 New Member

Didn't get to finish my post. Let my dog out and when i came back it had sent its self.
    The story is a woman pulled her keys out of her purse. When the keys came out so did her Sterling. When it hit the ground it fired and shot her in the head. A 6 million dollar law suit put Sterling Arms out of business.
  10. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Wow! Now that's chlorine for the gene pool.. Too bad for Sterling.
  11. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

The story I read (in a piece by Masad Ayoob, I beleive) was that the nitwit boyfriend of a babysitter shot the kid she was babysitting with one, after pulling the magazine (he fired the round in the chamber). The parents of the shot kid sued neither the nitwit nor the babysitter (hey, they didn't have any money) but Sterling, on the grounds that Sterling was negligent in not having equipped the gun with a magazine safety - and won big. Sterling staggered along for a while, then went out of business.

Just my $.02.
  12. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I didn't see that anyone told you how to get into the pistol so if you haven't yet been able to, here's how:

1. Make sure the pistol is uloaded
    2. Remove magazine and cock it.
    3. Using proper screwdriver, PUSH in on takedown screw on the right side of the frame. While pushing in, turn takedown screw 1/4 turn clockwise.
    4. Pull the slide completely to the rear and lift up. The slide will now move forward, off of the barrel and is easily removed.

Good luck!
  13. drahopa7

drahopa7 New Member

I see there are some fans ( and haters).
    I recently got a sterling MK 400 stainless in a trade.
    The double action didn't work.
    The trigger spring was broken.
    I got a new spring but I am not sure which pin to loop it over.
    Anyone have a picture of the trigger spring in a functioning gun I can look at?
    The exploded view on gun digest is sad at best.
  14. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Mine is packed away during our interstate move. Sorry.