Sterlingworth/Fox 20 gauge double barrel - worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Richard Hardin, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Richard Hardin

Richard Hardin New Member

Aug 11, 2010
    I have a Sterlingworth/Fox 20 gauge double barrel shotgun. Two triggers, 26 inch barrel, front bead sight, recoil pad, no ejectors but there are shell lifters (?). Looking at the serial number (261109) I think it was manufactured around 1929-30. The gun is in good shape with a few minor scratches on the stock and 2 small spots of rust on the barrel. From the pictures can anyone judge the value?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Richard,

Welcome to the forum.

You're pretty much in the ball park as to when your 20 gauge Fox Sterlingworth was made: the late 1920's.

It looks like the receiver has been either, or both, polished or plated. The original finish on the receiver would have been case colored which is a mixture of blues, greens, etc and with use and wear, would take on a subtle blueish gray color to just a dull to shiny finish. Your gun has a high polish looking finish and to me looks like it may have been plated.

That takes it out of the collector category and makes it a nice shooter. If the gun is sound and the rest of the gun is original, my guess as to its' value would be in the $800 to maybe as high as $1200 if you find the right buyer. That's the best estimate I can come up with from your pictures.

Hope this helps and hopefully, you'll get some more evaluations.

Jolly

3. Infidel

Infidel New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Got a couple questions?

Can you show a picture of the bottom and sides of the lock?

The other thing you should do is measure the bores, see how much wear you have there.

I recently accuired a savage/fox for my wife, it is sweet and I should feel bad for what I paid, but I don't.:eek:

The guy was a dealer and didn't know what he had. I have no sympathy for dealers that don't know what they are dealing, it business with them.

4. Richard Hardin

Richard Hardin New Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Thanks for the replies.

Can't say I'm not disappointed. This gun was inherited from my dad who always thought he had a collector's gun.

Infidel, I'm unable to take more pictures at the moment as the camera is unavailable to me right now.

I welcome any other opinions out there...

5. My book says add 50% to value for 20 gauge, so if the gun were untouched I would estimate value at about $1800. How much you deduct for the work done to the receiver is subjective, but Jolly's estimate of $1200 feels about right.

The screw holding the trigger guard to the stock appears to be incorrect; have it replaced. Shell lifters are called extractors.

Keep it in the family Richard, and insure it for $2,000.

6. Infidel

Infidel New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Best advice yet! But if you don't want to do that, I'll give you two bills for it.:D:D