Stevens 1915 Favorite

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by johnlives4christ, Oct 1, 2010.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

a friend of mine has this old rifle. it's a j stevens model 1915 single shot lever action 22 rifle. my friend wants me to fix the gun up. make it a shooter.

its in sad shape, it needs a firing pin, but i think it would not take much to bring it to firing condition. the stock needs repairing and needs a butt plate. and it appears that the front sight is made from an old silver coin. bore appears to be in good condition. im hoping it'll be a good shooter and he might sell it to me, but i doubt he will lol

any suggestions on websites that will aid in repairs or that will give info on this gun would be appreciated.

•markings on the barrel

j stevens arms company
    chicopee falls mass. u.s.a

22 long rifle

•markings on the upper tang

model 1915

•markings on the lower tang

D688

~john

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

John, I just had one of those a few weeks ago. Neat rifle but I remember seein a post about not shooting them with modern ammo. The one I had had two barrels, in a 35 stevens and a 32 rimfire.
  3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Parts turn up often on the gun auction sites and ebay

I shoot mine with standard velocity no problem the falling block is a strong action
  4. johnlives4christ

got any ideas the age of such a gun?
  5. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

The exact year that the rifle in questin was made since all of the records from Stevens/Savage have been lost/destroyed that cover the rifles history. However I can tell you that they were manufactured between 1893 and 1939.

Parts source

http://www.wisnersinc.com/exploded_views/Stevens_Favorite_parts.htm

Your front sight is orig

Does it lock up tight or does the lever droop?

If it has a coil main spring then it is a later one
    [​IMG]
  6. johnlives4christ

it does not lock up tight. the lever wont even go up all the way. someone has made a make shift firing pin out of a nail and i suspect that it's keeping the action from closing.

huh, i thought for sure the front sight had been made from a coin because it has some faint marks on each side. cant see what the marks are but can tell it had something on it at one time.
  7. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Check the extractor often it is worn and loose and will prevent proper lock up also worn lever Bushing & Lever Screw will cause the lever to flop around.
  8. johnlives4christ

okay. now that i think about it the extractor was flopping around.
  9. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

BTW is it a Stevens or a Savage????

Look at the upper left side of the receiver and see if it has SVG in a circle.
    If has that it is a Savage. Savage bought out Stevens in 1920 and continued to make the Stevens models with the Savage Trademark.

Mine is a Savage
  10. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

John, your rifle was definately made sometime after 1887, that's when the .22 Long Rifle cartridge came into being. Re-working that little gun will be fun. Remember that over the years there were a number of upgrades to the basic design. Make sure you get the correct ones for the vintage of the gun you have. I have had to just look at the remaining parts and then mach the missing ones to a sample gun or diagram. It shouldn't be too daunting.......there were a LOT of the little guys made. I overhaul some of these 'boy's rifles' when I stagger across them........some come to me in pretty sad shape, (see pics) like this little Winchester Model 1903. This is followed by a Stevens #14 1/2 'Little Scout' that I cleaned up a bit. It is chambered for .22 short only. It can become a fun hobby. Mike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  11. johnlives4christ

it doesnt have the savage mark. so it was made between 1893 and 1920

thats good looking work grampawmike
  12. grcsat

grcsat Active Member

Hi, what you have is model 1915 Stevens.
    The earlist examples I have seen have a few minor differances than the one in your pics.
    the differances are

rear sight is a buckhorn style
    the take down screw is a layard style
    no markings on the upper tang
    three or four digit number on the lower tang
    makers name only on the barrel
    no proof marks on the rec

If I'm wrong then please jump in and correct me.
  13. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

I have one of these in the works now. I cased the rec and lever, blued the bbl and small parts and had a stock built that will employ a Marlin Cresent steel curved butt plate and has a shadowline cheek pc. I plan to put a set of tang sights with a globe front on to finish up.
  14. johnlives4christ

the gun does have some proof marks on it but im dont got a notion to get up and see what they are right now.

if it was mine i would have it restored professionally, but im just going to clean it up and see if i can fix it for my friend. he gave 85 dollars for it, i tried to buy it but he said he wouldnt sell it for 200....

dunno what it's worth
  15. grcsat

grcsat Active Member

The cost of a proper restoration will cost more than what the rifle is worth.There are thousands of them out there in very good condition. But if you do some research and just fix it with the proper parts ,then you will have a really good and fun gun to shoot.

My own stevens has been totaly rebuilt with a anschutz barrel and target sights (model#6703) and I love it.
    Is it worth the money? To me it is. To someone else maybe no.

Just my two cents