Stevens 1929 Model 32 Gage

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 4gauge, Mar 24, 2010.

1. 4gauge

4gauge New Member

I am in the process of liquidating my father-in-law's collection and I am having difficulty in finding any information on a Stevens 32 Gage Shotgun. It is in excellent condition with 99% of its original bluing, good case colors, shiny bore with no pitting, and only minor scratches on the Walnut Stock and forend. It has a small frame and a 30" barrel. On the top-left side of the barrel it reads "1929 Model". On the left side of the receiver it reads "Stevens the fully guaranteed single gun". On the right side of the receiver it reads "J Stevens Arms Company - Chicopee Falls, Mass. USA - Made in USA" There is also a small "21" with a circle around it on the upper portion of the right receiver. Can anyone give me any additional information on this gun.
    Thank you,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  2. 4gauge

4gauge New Member

left receiver.jpg I would like to post a couple more interesting facts and a couple of photos about this gun with the hope that someone might be able to provide additional info: After my first post, I broke this gun down and found the parts had serial numbers. However, the numbers have a suffix I have never seen in a Stevens or Savage gun. The receiver has a part number of 791 NB. The barrel and forend have both have 879 NB stamped on them. Since these numbers are close together, I presume the mix of serial numbers must have occured at the factory. I have also searched the web extensively since my last post trying to find additional info on the Stevens 1929 Model. I found one reference in a past private auction notice that refered to a Stevens 1929 Model "Bully" single shot .410 shotgun, but I could find no other information about this gun. I also have an online subscription to the Bluebook and can find no mention of a Stevens "1929 Model" or even a Stevens 32 Gage. Any additional information or insight would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Up unto the 1930's , 32 Gauge was not uncommon and shells can still be ordered, it is still used in Europe ( for what I have no ideal ) However I have never seen a Stevens chambered for it nor can I find any listing for that cambering., but then again there are a lot of things I haven't seen in my lifetime. The numbers you refer to , are I believe assembly/inspection numbers , not serial numbers. To answer you question is going to take someone with reference material on the the Stevens, such as Joe Voisek's book " J. Stevens Arms and Tool Co History" . I believe it is a forerunner of the Stevens/ Savage 106/107 or short tang 94, " I think", which was introduce in 1929, hence the Model 1929 label. Most old single barrel Stevens are not high dollar items how ever yours is in such beautiful condition ( and in 32 gauge ) I believe 350 would be low end. Again I could be wrong. Jim K. any input on this?
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  4. Andy Griffith

Andy Griffith New Member

I can't honestly say as a disinterested party...as I'm very interested in it. :)

I know that Remington, as well as Stevens chambered 24 and 32 gauge guns. I have a Remington in 24 gauge which is not common but far from "rare." The 32 bore in these little guns in definitely not common in this condition- but not "rare."
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  5. 4gauge

4gauge New Member

I appreciate the input I have received on this gun. I suppose the term "rare" is a bit subjective, but when no one on this well-read forum has heard of this particular model of gun I think it probably qualifies as "scarce"!