stevens 22 caliber single shot pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ronald, Nov 8, 2007.

1. ronald

ronald New Member

i have a stevens 22 caliber single shot single action pistol it is marked j stevens a&t co. chicopee falls mass. sn43932 someone at one time told my dad its called a stevens off hand pistol can anyone give me some info and what this gun could be worth
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Ronald......welcome to TFF.

There is no Stevens "Off Hand" model listed in my references. I'm assuming that yours is a "tip-up" loading pistol with a spur trigger....am I correct?

Stevens made quite a few models of this type of pistol between the mid 1860's to about 1920. Can't really tell what you've got with the info given.

What's the barrel length?

Can you post some clear, sharp pictures? Full length, left and right side?
  3. ronald

ronald New Member

it is not a tip up it has a 6" barrel with a front sight i will see if someone can take some pictures so i can post them also on the left side there is a botton that you push to open the barrel
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  4. ronald

ronald New Member

i have beentold that stevens did make an offhand single shot pistol and it could be a model 35
  5. FloridaFialaFan

FloridaFialaFan New Member

Without pictures.... quien sabe? Here are some pics which might help identify it.

[​IMG]

Above is the Stevens No. 10 which was meant to compete with all the more expensive single-shot .22rfs which back in the '20s and '30s, when such pistols were sought to attend outdoor shooting events. Those range outings almost became a Social event rather than a Sports competition. It was the "THING" back in the pre-TV era. But, slowly, a man's prowess with a gun began to wane. Folks were more interested in the looming war in Erurope which finally erupted in the '40s. By the way, the cocking knob on this gun is NOT original.

[​IMG]

This little cutie is the Steven No. 35 and was only one of a whole batch of similar pieces they ended up making. This was intended more the common folk who just needed a partner to take fishing, trapping, whatever.

I hope these pics help. NOW, which one are you discussing here?

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

When people see a cat's litter box, they always ask, "Oh, have you got a cat?" Just once I want to answer, "No, it's for company!"
  6. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Nor are the grips or latch...;):D
  7. FloridaFialaFan

Correct, deadin. Forgot to mention that, 'cause I hate that knob particularly.

FFF
  8. FloridaFialaFan

Only other choice I had was this one. and it's not much better off than the first No. 10. Coulda' stole a proper one out of a book, I reckon. But, lazy and rather use what I got.

FFF

[​IMG]
  9. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

FFF are you also GGN in another life:cool:??
  10. FloridaFialaFan

Yep! I've chatted with you on other websites, deadin. And on some sites I'm Shansei45, or Shansei96, or 45Broomhandle, etc., etc., ad nauseum. I signed up on all these various forums back when I was first getting acquainted with the power of the web and I thought you had to have a different user name and password on each of them.

On the CanadianGunNutz.com forums I'm just mauser. That's a great place to get info on any Canuckian iron you might run into. Great bunch of guys.

Rather than go through the confusion of changing all of them to the same thing, I figured most people can surmise the similarity by my location "World's Most Famous Beach - Daytona" [​IMG]

Best regards ~ ~ ~ one of them guys up there...
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  11. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Seeing as how you are wearing your Fiala hat here I still need a representive Fiala for my prewar .22 collection. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just all there. Don't need the package. I would be happy with just a 6" barrel.
    I ran across one with the rifle barrel only a couple of months ago, no stock and not in much better than fair condition. At the asking price of $700 I figured I could wait.

Keep me in mind if you decide to cull the herd.:D

Dean
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

HOW COME I AM NOT SEEING PICTURES???????
  13. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

What pictures do you want to see??:D
  14. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

didn't Florida put pictures up or am i going nuts?
  15. FloridaFialaFan

BETH, LOOK UP!

I've posted THREE so far.

FFF
  16. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok but i am not seeing them?????