Stevens .22 Full Octagon barrel rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jake_t327, Sep 27, 2010.

1. jake_t327

jake_t327 New Member

My dad was just given this little stevens .22 that was his fathers. I would like to find out how to date it, or any information about it. I have researched a little and have found lots of guns that look like it, but they all seem to be either round barrels or half round/half octagon barrels. This one is octagon the whole way. It looks like the model 12, the boy's rifle or whatever they were called. Is it rare to find one of these with a full octagon barrel? I don't care about the value of it but would like to know some things about it. I will get the gun tonight and write down all the info on the barrel. Thanks for any help you guys could offer.

-Jake T.
  2. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

Bolt, pump or lever? Curved butt plate or flat and is it steel or plastic? If I recall, the Savage 14 is a pump that resembles the mod 12.
  3. jake_t327

jake_t327 New Member

It's a lever action, it says Stevens on top of the barrel, did savage make them even back then? It's got a curved steel butt plate, walnut stock, i think.
  4. jake_t327

jake_t327 New Member

Turns out that my Stevens is a model 1915 Favorite. From what I read there's no exact way to tell what year it was made, but now I know it's between 1915 and 1939 I think. I still haven't seen hardly any that have a full octagon barrel with a rear buckhorn sight and my buttplate is curved steel.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010