Stevens 311 SxS 16 Ga Extractor Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by stevens311, Nov 20, 2012.

1. stevens311

stevens311 New Member

My Savage/Stevens 311 SxS 16 Gauge shotgun is having a problem extracting shells from the right barrel. It seems that the spent shell gets really tight in the right barrel. When you try to open the gun after firing, you have to push really hard and then the extractor slips past the lip of the shell. I have to pry back the shell with a screw driver and and then pull it out with piers.

Would any of you have a recommendation for how to fix this problem?
  2. BillM

BillM Active Member

Polish the chamber. If the chamber has rusted/pitted to where there
    are areas with metal missing that the shell can expand into, then
    hang it on the wall.
  3. stevens311

stevens311 New Member

Looks like you might be on to something. Gonna try some polishing with fine steel wool and polishing compound.
  4. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I usually take a short section of dowel rod and saw a split in one end, Put very fine carburandum paper in split and chuck in a drill. Do not hold in one spot to cause circular scratch marks but keep it moving back and forth. Be suprised at amount of rust I have seen come from shotgun chambers. I always clean and oil my chambers after shooting