1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Stevens 311A Serial Number

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jim brady, Mar 15, 2010.

1. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Was going through my collection, logging serial numbers in case somebody ever ever gets into my safe. While recording numbers, I looked for the serial number on my 12 gauge 311A Stevens double barrel and couldn't find it.

I've been into this for a several decades, and this is a first for me. I happened to have bought this one while I was working a Gun Show from a private party a while back, and this shotgun is less than 10 years old. Close examination shows NO grinding/sanding or tinkering anywhere, so I doubt if the number was removed. Just can't find it. I've taken it apart and looked over the receiver. Gotta be there - but where????? The only numbers I've found are a single digit number in a circle and the stamped letters 'ED' and 'AE' stamped on the receiver block under the barrels. This isn't old enough to be that early of a production.
  2. chuckusaret

chuckusaret New Member

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  3. jim brady

Thanks for that info!!! I had no idea that was the case with Stevens. I thought (wrongly) that Stevens would have used serial numbers way before that.

Looking at this shotgun I WOULD NOT GUESS it's age. It was mint and I only gave $150 for it. Looks to be a 1950 gun from those markings. The bore, wood and bluing were like it came right out of a box.

People like you make this site a treasure chest of info. Thanks.
  4. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Prior to 1968 serial numbers weren't required and many didn't use them.
  5. jim brady

Thanks. Don't doubt this info for a second. I am surprised, though. Every firearm I've ever owned has had serial numbers - some of these go back to the 1880s. Every one except this one.

I have a pre-Stevens 12 gauge single shot, and I seem to remember it has a serial number. I can't remember the name on that one (it's on my farm 85 miles from here). I use that one for coyotes that get a little too frisky after dark when I can't use the sights on my 92FS. Been a couple years, but that one I think is marked "American Arms Co - Chicopee Falls, Mass". Forgive me if I've butchered that one...... Great old shot gun and shoots really nice.