Stevens 311A Serial Number

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jim brady, Mar 15, 2010.

1. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Was going through my collection, logging serial numbers in case somebody ever ever gets into my safe. While recording numbers, I looked for the serial number on my 12 gauge 311A Stevens double barrel and couldn't find it.

I've been into this for a several decades, and this is a first for me. I happened to have bought this one while I was working a Gun Show from a private party a while back, and this shotgun is less than 10 years old. Close examination shows NO grinding/sanding or tinkering anywhere, so I doubt if the number was removed. Just can't find it. I've taken it apart and looked over the receiver. Gotta be there - but where????? The only numbers I've found are a single digit number in a circle and the stamped letters 'ED' and 'AE' stamped on the receiver block under the barrels. This isn't old enough to be that early of a production.
  2. chuckusaret

chuckusaret New Member

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  3. jim brady

Thanks for that info!!! I had no idea that was the case with Stevens. I thought (wrongly) that Stevens would have used serial numbers way before that.

Looking at this shotgun I WOULD NOT GUESS it's age. It was mint and I only gave $150 for it. Looks to be a 1950 gun from those markings. The bore, wood and bluing were like it came right out of a box.

People like you make this site a treasure chest of info. Thanks.
  4. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Prior to 1968 serial numbers weren't required and many didn't use them.
  5. jim brady

Thanks. Don't doubt this info for a second. I am surprised, though. Every firearm I've ever owned has had serial numbers - some of these go back to the 1880s. Every one except this one.

I have a pre-Stevens 12 gauge single shot, and I seem to remember it has a serial number. I can't remember the name on that one (it's on my farm 85 miles from here). I use that one for coyotes that get a little too frisky after dark when I can't use the sights on my 92FS. Been a couple years, but that one I think is marked "American Arms Co - Chicopee Falls, Mass". Forgive me if I've butchered that one...... Great old shot gun and shoots really nice.