1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Stevens 315 firing pins

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ShawnDow, Oct 13, 2012.

1. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Dumb question..:dontknow:
    Im trying to fix the firing pins on a Stevens 315 SXS shotgun... after decades of "patina" the crisp edges where the sears grab the pins have rounded off a bit (on both the sears and pins) enough to make both go off when one is "released". I had the notion of using a triangular jewelers file to "re crisp" the edges... but my file wont "bite" the metal of the firing pins.. I trued up the sears... but I need to clean up the pins...
    Are the pins case hardened through the whole thing? Or do I need a diamond type file?
    Thanks for the input.
    Shawn
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

sounds like you just need a sharper file.
  3. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Thanks!.... a lot.. I tried a few... the pins keep dulling them. Ill see if I can come up with something else tomorrow.
  4. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Numrich has both right and left pins if you need them.
    Mike
  5. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

I know... they are available.. just trying to save a buck... bit if I cant true the edge... Numrich it will be! Ill probably get new sears at the same time if I do. And thank you goofy.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

pull em out and try a whetstone.

If that dont work and you have a dremel and some cut off disks you could CAREFULLY cut them with that.
  7. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

India whetstone or diamond file.