Stevens 315 firing pins

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ShawnDow, Oct 13, 2012.

1. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Dumb question..:dontknow:
    Im trying to fix the firing pins on a Stevens 315 SXS shotgun... after decades of "patina" the crisp edges where the sears grab the pins have rounded off a bit (on both the sears and pins) enough to make both go off when one is "released". I had the notion of using a triangular jewelers file to "re crisp" the edges... but my file wont "bite" the metal of the firing pins.. I trued up the sears... but I need to clean up the pins...
    Are the pins case hardened through the whole thing? Or do I need a diamond type file?
    Thanks for the input.
    Shawn
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

sounds like you just need a sharper file.
  3. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Thanks!.... a lot.. I tried a few... the pins keep dulling them. Ill see if I can come up with something else tomorrow.
  4. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Numrich has both right and left pins if you need them.
    Mike
  5. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

I know... they are available.. just trying to save a buck... bit if I cant true the edge... Numrich it will be! Ill probably get new sears at the same time if I do. And thank you goofy.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

pull em out and try a whetstone.

If that dont work and you have a dremel and some cut off disks you could CAREFULLY cut them with that.
  7. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

India whetstone or diamond file.