Stevens 66 Malfunction

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/24/02 10:10:03 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    Help
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Stevens model 66. .22lr bolt action tube feed. Only fires about half the shells. Put the shells in another gun and they work fine.

So problem is in the gun. The thing is cocking and going off every time the trigger is pulled. I must have a worn firing pin or it is just dirty. The shells that do not go off have firing pin marks but just barely.

I want to take the bolt out and give it a good cleaning.

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the bolt out. Does anyone know?
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/25/02 12:05:00 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Help
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Clean the chamber thoroughly, making sure the chamber mouth is round and without burrs.

If I remember correctly, that bolt removes by pulling the trigger to the rear and removing the bolt rearward.

If the firing pin moves freely in its channel, use a fine needle file to sharpen the point just a bit and try it again.

Otherwise, I have the firing pin in stock.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/25/02 9:08:05 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    The first thing I did was pull the trigger all the way to the rear and tryto slide the bolt out. I tried it with the sefety on and off with the gun upside down and inside out and everything else I can think of.

bought ready to get out the heat wrench.
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/25/02 9:16:24 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Help
    Well, I have some funky acting bolt .22`s, so try this. Lift the bolt and depress the trigger as Doc mentions. Pull the bolt back till it locks up. Release the trigger, then depress it again and pull back the bolt. LTS

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/25/02 9:22:07 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I am heading for the gun safe now LTS. I think I tried that combination but I am not sure.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/25/02 9:28:36 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Ok that did not work, this is the model that when the bolt is moved to wrok the action the magazine tube moves with it.

Common sense says they must be connected. I removed the stock and they are connected.

Looks like just one tiny wee little pin that has to be drove out to remove the bolt from the feed assembly thing on the end of the magazine tube.

Nope upon closer inspection the wee little tiny pin only holds the ejector to the rear of the feed assembly. The ejector is cammed upward and pops the empty out the top. It is a top eject.

There are two extractors in the usual place and right above them on the top front of the bolt are two wee tinly little screws that appear to go all the way through the bolt and hold it to the feed assembly. I will have to find my jewelers scewdrivers for these.

Edited by: warpig883 at: 7/25/02 11:07:57 am

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/25/02 10:28:07 am)
    Ok, then....try this. pull the trigger back and the bolt, when the bolt locks, release the trigger and then pull. If that don`t work....throw it away

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/25/02 10:42:41 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I have one of these rifles in my parts pile, so I dug it out. Of course, the bolt does not attach to the feed assembly, BUT, there are two large flat-head screws that attach the lifter assembly to the receiver. These screws extend into the bolt raceway. Back them out a few turns (dont remove them), pull the bolt to the rear, pull the trigger all the way (safety off), then remove the bolt.

www.apaxenterprises.com

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/25/02 10:55:51 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Oh, and if you want to get rid of the blasted thing I need the bolt!

www.apaxenterprises.com

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/25/02 10:56:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Nope. lifter assembley (the part that lifts the next shell into place is on the end of the magazine tube and pivots after being pushed up by big U shaped cam thing that is pinned and pivots on the pin.

Only screws there are are the two tiny ones on the top of the bolt. I took them out. They do go through the extractors and allow the extractors to slide out the front of the bolt. The scews are about a 1/2 in long ond only threaded at the very top by the head. The lower parts of them are more like a pin. and attach the bolt to the feed assembly.

got the screws out but bolt is still firmly atached to the whole feed block and magazine tube.

The part I am calling the feed block feed assembly is a long rectangular piece about a 1/2 inch wide and about 4 1/2 inches long. On ond end the outer magazine tube is pressed into it and on the other end it goes up into the chamber and forms the bottom half of the bolt.

Edited by: warpig883 at: 7/25/02 12:00:29 pm

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/25/02 11:16:30 am)
    I`ll give you $20.00 for it.....shipped of course. LTS

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/25/02 1:04:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Got it. The pin that holds that U shaped cam thingy is also pinning the bolt to the feed assembly. Did not have a punch small enough for that.

I stripped the bolt (actually the bolt carrier) inside the gun. Just pushed out 1 pin and the bolt assembley slid out the rear of the bolt carrier. The bolt assembly holds the firing pin spring and the firing pin. The firing pin is round and swivels by a ball and socket joint and does not move at all lateraly. It has to swivel because it is not a straight shot through the carrier. The whole works moves inside the carrier. It is adjustable by which coil in the firing pin spring that you put the pin in. I filed some burrs off the front of the ball and socket joint so the bolt goes all the way forward in the carrier and set the spring on super strong (moved it one coil). Firing pin now sticks out about a strong 1/16th when fired.

Will test fire this afternoon