Stevens 87a extractor

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jschonfarber, Mar 5, 2012.

1. jschonfarber

jschonfarber New Member

I bought a stevens 87a, and it wil not reliably eject. I did repair a dent in the magazine tube so that it will feed from there. The gun will feed the first round from the magazine but subsequent rounds don't eject, they usualy end up on the left side of the cartridge that is ready to go into the gun. The left extractor is in place but the right one is missing. I can't seem to find a replacement and thought yall could help me.
  2. DNIF

DNIF Member

The entire 87 series were notorious for jams. Ive owned an 87J for close to 40 years and its never fired more than 10 rounds before the jam. Changed all internals, bolt, springs, extractor, feed ramp etc. Bang, bang jam.

Try Numrich, they have quite a few parts, Ive bought 2 sets trying to fix mine over the years.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Hello jschonfarber The 87a is the same as savage 6a,6ab,6b.You need both of the extractors the one on the left acts like a ejector with a positive angle and the right is the extractor with a negative angle.You can get the parts you need from NUMRICH.Remember to get the spring and plunger and the extractor.
    Mike
  4. jschonfarber

jschonfarber New Member

Thank you both, I had found a variation of Numrich before but it was only availible to Gander Mtn. gunsmiths, which is why I asked here. I found the normal version but am going to wait on ordering it because there is a gunshow near me at the end of the month. It also apears that whoever installed them before they put them in backwards.