Stevens 940A single shot shotgun opens after firing

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Tater, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Tater

Tater New Member

Bought an old Stevens 940A 12ga single shot shotgun at an auction. At 40 bucks, figured I couldn't go too far wrong. It's clean, well oiled, stock shows wear and after firing a round, the darn thing is even accurate. But after firing a round, it swings open and the shell pops out. Is this a feature or is it just getting old?
    I've never fired a single shot 12ga before so kindly excuse my ignorance.
    Tater from the center of NC
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  2. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    If the release button is on top of the tang and you rest your thumb on the tang when firing you could be tripping the release accidentally.

Or.....

If the release button spring is weak the recoil could cause the barrel latch to disengage.
  3. Tater

Tater New Member

Thanks for the info, mtnboomer. This model has a lever on the right side for releasing the barrel. I looked at newer models and they have a button on top. Regardless, what I gather from your info is that the barrel should not release by itself after firing. Maybe I'll get brave, open it up and see if the release spring is kind of tight. I got all sorts of springs so maybe I might even be able to fix it.