stevens "favorite" 22 1894

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Helix_FR, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I need a approx value on this. I can't find any info on it. Stevens .22 "Favorite" S#2064 Says J Stevens A&T Co Chicopee Falls Mass. Pat Apr. 17.94 Also has a extra barrel with matching serial number.
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Do a search of this forum for Stevens Favorite, and you'll find several prior discussions of this model.

But why is there an extra barrel with same serial number, is the spare a different caliber or length, etc?
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Well the extra barrel is the .22 barrel. The barrel on it now is of a unknown caliber. Its larger than a .22 and is rimmed. Anyone know if these came in a different caliber than .22?
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

They were also made in .25 rimfire and .32 rimfire calibers, including a smoothbore .32 rimfire shot model
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Without consulting my references, I can say for sure that the Favorite was also made in a .30 rimfire caliber. I seem to remember it also came in a .25 rimfire. These rifles rarely reach a value of $300, even in minty condition. However, one with a spare matching barrel in a second caliber is really rare and could easily go as high as $600 or even more if in really nice condition.
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Its in OK condition. No major scratches and no pitting and the bore is nice and shiny on both barrels. My guess is a 30 rimfire also. I told him 250.00 but with both barrels maybe 400 tops. He just wants to shoot it but he wants it cleaned up before hand. The barrel on there now just threw me for a loop b/c I was expecting a .22.
  7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

There's no point in shooting it. Forget about the .30 barrel......there is no ammo available. As for shooting it with .22 ammo, modern cartridges, even standard velocity are too hot.
  8. Doug B.

Doug B. New Member

Guess I better tell my Father In-law to stop shooting his .22 Favorite. Hate to see what might happen to it after God knows how many rounds have gone through it after all these years.
  9. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

For the same breechblock and firing pin to work on two rimfire calibers, the bore of one barrel might need to be offset, although possibly a large enough firing pin would work on both .22 and .25: Have you tried both barrels on the action, and are both marked with the Stevens address? They did not make the Favorite in .30 rimfire caliber, which was never a popular round and used mostly in 1880s revolvers.

From 1902 Sears catalog:

Attached Files:

10. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

It is a rather large pin but also the .22 barrel sits a little lower in the stock to offset the pin and also so the extractor can grab it.