Stevens Favorite 22 Long Rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by atarilogic, Mar 29, 2009.

1. atarilogic

atarilogic New Member

Hi, guys. I wanted to post some images of an old gun we found in our attic out on top of the rafters. I hear ya. We're now combing all of the little storage spaces and unused areas for more treasures!

Anyway, I know it is a Stevens Favorite rifle, but cannot figure out which model this may be. The only differentiating item I can think of is the number 9 on the bottom of the gun under the lever action.

In case you can't see it, the gun has machined type on top and side reading:

"J. STEVENS A.&T. CO.
    CHICOPEE FALLS MASS U.S.A. PAT APR 17 94

.22-LONG RIFLE"

Here's some images:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. kingcuke

kingcuke Member

I believe the Favorites were originally made between 1893 & 1939. Yours appears to be a take down model. The screw under the action can be loosened and the barrel can be removed. Stevens is again selling these rifles and currently the rifle you have would be a Model 30. Not sure if your old one would be a model 30 or not. The rifle appears to be in very nice condition. Congrats on your find.
  3. atarilogic

atarilogic New Member

Right on. To my understanding, this is the original J. Stevens model since it lacks the "Circle S" branding that accompanied rifles after Savage took over. Also, unlike the new model 30, it has a half octagonal barrel. It is in really excellent condition - all of the moving/touching metal parts have been greased and I have to keep telling wifey to handle the gun stock and not the metal. :)

Still, I have looked at several antique arms catalogs and no luck figuring out which exact model this is. I think the "9" on the tang is a real indicator, but cannot find it anywhere in the books I've checked. Apparently, the Favorite line went through several minor changes over it's lifetime, so figuring out the exact model is a real issue regarding the things worth.

Any help and/or reference would be seriously appreciated. Thanks!
  4. atarilogic

atarilogic New Member

More than anything, I want to know if it is worth something - enough to clean it up or just go fire it. ?
  5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

An old Stevens collector told me that it was a fairly early example, and that the knurled adjusting ring shown at junction of barrel and frame is a pretty rare feature. It looks to be in above average condition, with case hardening colors and fired blue screw heads still present, and should be left untouched other than light wipedown with gun oil.
  6. atarilogic

atarilogic New Member

It is in really good shape. I still wonder if the "9" on the lower tang is a SN or a model #. For whatever reason, I cannot find this anywhere.
  7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Here's an article that should help:

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/stevens_favorite_rifles.htm

It explains the ring I mentioned, which I had never seen before:

"The early 1894's had the same side style extractor as the 1889 guns. The top side rear of the receiver at the top flat at the rear of the barrel (at the hammer area) had a more square corner on the early guns. The next version in succession had a short threaded section on the barrel in front of the receiver & utilized a thin knurled ring that threaded onto the barrel at the juncture against the receiver front. This ring could be adjusted to position the barrel rearward enough to put more pressure against the breechblock, putting enough tension to keep the lever from drooping if the linkage became worn. Later guns used a spring loaded plunger inside the lever that put tension on the link. Then still later the whole adjustment system was dropped."
  8. atarilogic

atarilogic New Member

So you think this is most likely the 1894 "standard?"