1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Stevens Model 11

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I may not get any help on this one and I'll understand that, I have a rifle that was my dad's it's a 22 rimfire by Stevens, a model 11.

On the barrel it simply states Stevens Model 11 - .22 Long Rifle and a patent of Nov 1907. It also has stamped above the chamber Stevens Junior.

does anyone know anything at all about these? do I dare shoot a modern round through it, or will the thing blow up?

firing it doesn't matter much, my plans are to restore it, and replace the stock, the one on it is cracked and I'd like to bring it back to life.

John

Stratcat67
    (11/9/02 1:15:33 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del also
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    and while we are talking about this gun, I'd like to make a new stock, it's about 31 inches long and an inch thick. I'd like to go with either a flamed maple or a quilted maple stock - hey, I'm a guitar player and a sucker for quilted bodies does anyone know of someone that could cut me a rough stock if I sent a traced picture of it?

I'll gladly post a picture if someone can tell me how to do it..

Ross95966
    (11/9/02 1:18:18 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Stevens M 11
    Stracat67,
    Before you do any restoration on that old gun, please confer with a collector. We've all seen old guns that were restored to "like new" and thus rendered worthless to collectors. Originality, warts and all, is all to a collector and refinish is anathema.
    Please don't rub out the history and character as it is irreplaceable.
    Cheers from Grayest California,
    Ross

Stratcat67
    (11/9/02 1:58:55 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del no alterations planned
    oh man!! I'm not doing anything to the actual gun, I'm just going to replace the stock, and I will keep the original with it.

The stock has cracked from years of stress, it was a project my dad was going to do, and I kinda figured it would be a good thing to finish.

but no, I will not alter, harm or anything else to the weapon itself. I probably won't ever fire it either, I'm to scared that as old as it is the newer ammo will cause big problems in it.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (11/9/02 7:21:03 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: no alterations planned
    If the bore is good, shoot it.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/9/02 8:39:47 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: no alterations planned
    The Stevens Model 11 was what was known as a "Boy's Rifle". They sold for $2-3.00 when new, and a lot of them were made, so they have no great collector value.....however if this piece has some family history to it, for you, it's valuable.

Your old Stevens shouldn't have any trouble with modern standard velocity .22RF.....just make sure that the bore is decent and has no obstructions.

If you can find the wood, almost any local woodworking or furniture repair shop should be able to cut out and rough shape a stock blank for you (using the old stock as a pattern).

Good luck.

Edited by: Xracer at: 11/9/02 9:25:19 am
  2. tim.moeller1952

tim.moeller1952 New Member

Since this lttle gem is from just after the turn of the century and ended production in 1935 (I believe) the powder they used in the 22 rimfire cartridges was more like black powder. I have one in pristine condition with original stock (pinewood). 22LR are too powerful nowadays with the newer gun powders and it blows back the fall block and expands the casing in the chamber making it difficult to remove the shell. I use strictly 22short in mine and it is dead accurate at 25 feet with no problems.