Stevens Model 14 1/2 Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

countryboy
    (4/6/02 4:10:31 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All J. Stevens .22 Rifle
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a rifle with a stamp on the barrel, "J. Stevens Arms Company Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A. 14 ½". It also has no ser. number and there are no visible alterations to indicate the ser. number was removed. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/6/02 4:17:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: J. Stevens .22 Rifle
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    countryboy - welcome to our site.

I don't know anything about the rifle in question, but many rifles and shotguns didn't have serial numbers at one time. I've got a SxS shotgun without serial numbers.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/6/02 4:33:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: J. Stevens .22 Rifle
    Shotguns and .22 rifles made prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968 were not required to bear serial numbers.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Kimber and Wilson Combat Master Dealer

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/6/02 5:34:16 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: J. Stevens .22 Rifle
    The Stevens #14 1/2 was also known as the "Little Scout" rifle. It was made from 1911 to 1941 and is a rolling block action, single shot, two-piece stock, with a 20" barrel. Should be marked "Little Scout" on the barrel.

Does that about sound right?

I don't know what the current value is.

countryboy
    (4/7/02 5:52:00 am)
    That sounds like it, but I cannot find any markings of "Little Scout". Perhaps if the rifle is cleaned up it would be visible?

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/7/02 10:15:51 am)
    Countryboy......I'm not sure. I got my information out of an old "Flayderman's Guide to Antique Firearms..."

"Stevens "Little Scout" Rifle No. 14 1/2. Made c. 1911 to 1941.

Caliber 22 rimfire. 20" barrel. Rolling block type action very similar to the No. 14, b;ut sturdier frame and made with two-piece stock (which distinguishes it from the No. 14) with entire receiver and frame exposed (casehardened). Barrel marked with usual company name and address and LITTLE SCOUT.

Values ----- Very Good $50 Exc. $85"

You can forget the values....it's an old book, published in 1977

That's all I have.