Stevens Model 311A Shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by hatesunderscores, Jun 23, 2008.

1. hatesunderscores

hatesunderscores New Member

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and still looking around. I like what I see so far. It's good to have a place where we can all get together.
    I recently traded for a Stevens Model 311A .16 gauge SxS double barrel shotgun. I would like your opinions as to its age and value. Here are the specifics:

The right side of the receiver is stamped "model 311A"

The left side of the receiver is stamped:
    Stevens Model 311
    Savage Arms Corporation
    Chicopee Falls, Mass U.S.A.

The right barrel is stamped "Selected Forged Steel".

The left barrel is stamped:
    Proof Tested .16 gauge
    2 3/4 inch chamber

When you open the barrels, the left side of the receiver is stamped with an "A" in a circle and the letters "D" and "N".

I cannot find a serial number on it anywhere.

From information I have found elsewhere on the net, it appears that it might date from the late 1940's to the early 1950's but I have no idea if this is correct.

I think it is in excellent shape, at least 95% for it's age. I haven't found any scratches or rust yet. The only visible flaw is a slight chip out of the front of the left side of the foregrip.

I'm going to attempt to post some photos of it, but since this is my first post on this forum please be patient. LOL.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attached Files:

2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi hatesunderscores.....welcome to TFF. :)

Very pretty Stevens.

The fact that it has no serial # indicates that it was made before 1968, when the Gun Control Act of 1968 required that all firearms have serial #s.

The model 311 started as the Springfield 5000 around 1920 with model designation changing to 5100 in 1931. Around 1940 it became the Stevens model 311. It was discontinued in 1989.

If it was manufactured between 1949 and 1968 there should be a small circle with a number and letter stamped between the trigger and the hinge pin. The letter reflects the year of manufacture.

A to N = 1949 - 1961
    P = 1963
    R to V = 1964 - 1968

Yours, with a circled "A", was probably made in, or very close to, 1949.

Value? Well, here we have a bit of a discrepancy. The Standard Catalog of Firearms values it at:

Model 311A - Hammerless Boxlock:

Exc. - $525
    V.G. - $450

The Blue Book values it at:

Model 311 SxS (16 ga.):

98% - $295
    95% - $240
    90% - $220

Why the big difference? Your guess is as good as mine! :)
  3. hatesunderscores

hatesunderscores New Member

Thanks! I went into the deal figuring it at about $300, so it looks like it worked out. Of course, I like the $525 figure more. LOL.:)
  4. oh-crap

oh-crap New Member

I have a 12 ga Stevens that looks very similar to this one. It has not serial number either. It has a plastic hand grip under the barrel made to look like wood. I has a circled F but no number at all. Next to the circle it has "H D" stamped in it the on the other side of the cut out it has and "S" stamped in it (but not circled. Is there somewhere that I can buy a new wooden hand grip?
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  5. alajokir

alajokir New Member

Hi, I'm living in Canada and also own a model 311a 12guage. its been in the family for years and has gone through 2 stocks already. They rarely make parts for this firearm anymore though you can sometimes find them online through google but your best bet is to just go get a nice dry piece of hardwood with no knots in it and a straight grane and just carve one yourself. It may seem like a hassle but in the end your left with something you will love and cherish even more due to the fact that you made it with your own two hands. I know this because i just finished carving the third stock for this gun and i feel like i really accomplished something. I used purple heart and its really stunning to look at. on another note, did you know that the trigger assembly and carriage are made of solid nickle? if you get some tarnish remover it comes out looking good as new.
  6. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

I know what you mean about the stocks. Don't carry them ice skating and don't shoot them while standing on ice.
  7. PetahW

PetahW New Member

8. tstamm2013

tstamm2013 New Member

I just bought the same gun for 450 on great condition that gun completed my set i have all of the the guages 410 20 16 and 12. I have one question who did you trade it to?
  9. tjones

tjones New Member

did stevens make a 28 gauge in the model 311. tjones
  10. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Hatesunderscores-
    The gun has been reblued, I believe.
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It has been reblued or at least blued outside the factory. The original finish was either a blue black or color case hardened. The plum/purple color is the result of hot tank blue on some types of steel alloys.

Jim
  12. vintagemoto523

vintagemoto523 New Member

Hey All

Some really great info on the 311A, Thanks!! I know this thread is kind of dated, but I recently aquired my 311A. Info already posted tells me I have the 1949 model, but there are some differences....Mine does not have a recoil pad and it also came in a green canvas and leather bag where you can place the forearm, stock and barrels into separate sections, closing with leather straps and buckles with a carrying handle on top. The gun itself is rather pristine, with only one slight rub mark on the stock.
    Did this canvas take-down case come with the gun originally or was it purchased separately? What do you think the value is in 2012 terms? Oh, it is the 12 guage with 2 3/4" chambers.

Thanks a ton for your help!

Mark.
  13. j3hill

j3hill New Member

I think these were the exact same in every way as the Southern Arms co. SxS In fact I think they were merged with Stevens.
  14. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Southern Arms is listed as being made by Crescent Arms. Crescent was taken over by Savage in 1930 and remained in the Savage catalog until 1941, However by 1937 all the guns with Crescent's name were in fact Savage made on Savage machines and were in every thing but name Steven / Savage. So yes, late made shotguns with the Southern Arms Trade Name could very well be copies of the 311.
  15. Mike Waldroop

Mike Waldroop New Member

Great information on the Stevens 311A. Just purchased one that I want to get as close to original as possible. Left side of box says Stevens 311a Savage Arms Corporation, Westfield, Mass. USA. Right side...Model 311A....Bottom of box looks like S97 in a circle. What was original factory finish for stock and forearm? Mine looks like it has been refinished. Appreciate any help you can offer.