Stevens model 325B 30/30?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by RugerUser, Nov 25, 2012.

1. RugerUser

RugerUser New Member

I just picked one of these guns up and was looking for some info on them. It is in pretty good shape. Can anybody tell me when this line of guns may have been made and what the ballpark value would be and if there is any known problems with these guns or are they a pretty good gun?

Thanks ahead of time for the help.
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

The Stevens 325 was the first model of the design that is also available as the Savage 340. Many parts are interchangeable between them.
    The Stevens 325 line was introduced in '47 and was discontinued in '50. (Besides the 325, there were 325A, B, & C variants later in production)
    The Savage 340 version continued on for many years though. I know they were still selling them in the late 70s but I don't know when production ceased on the 340.

Your 325B was probably made in '48 or '49.
    Value would depend on condition and even though it's a short-production model prices seem to still hang right with it's Savage340 sister. Up here in ND, $250 will get you a really nice one. A shaggy looking beater might sell for $150 or even less.

They have the same quirks as the 340.
    The trigger isn't the best...it's just a bunch of stamped sheetmetal parts afterall.
    The single, rear lug bolt isn't the strongest action ever made but it's perfectly adequate for the .30-30.
    They are usually pretty accurate little rifles though once you get the hang of their usually funky trigger pull.
    They're not real pretty too look at either, BUT as a cheap bargain shooter you can't go wrong with one.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Just to add a tidbit of info. Being a open rear action only side mounts can be used if mounting a scope. Weaver makes a mount but it is hard to find.
  4. RugerUser

RugerUser New Member

Thanks for your input guys.
  5. oneoldsap

oneoldsap New Member

You can still get the Weaver scope mounts from Brownell's ! They are a good little starter gun for a kid or lady , they're certainly safer than a Winchester 94 from the same era .
  6. RugerUser

RugerUser New Member

Why would they be safer? I honestly don't know..:confused:
  7. Bindernut

That's a good question.
    I've never had any safety issues with a pre-64 Winchester 94...or the post-64 or the AE versions either.
  8. stan741

stan741 New Member

B Square makes an excellent side mount for this rifle. I just had one installed on my 325.I think it is better than the Weaver side mount.You can still use iron sights.It is available from Midway Shooting Supplies for about $35.

Stan
  9. nate_eriksen

nate_eriksen New Member

hi stan, i have a 325-b do you have the link to that scope mount? did you have to do any driling? was it the mount for the 340?
  10. Bindernut

Welcome to TFF nate!

Yes, the scope base that stan741 mentioned is the Savage 340 mount. It has the old Weaver side-mount beat all to pieces.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/14...tyle-scope-base-with-1-rings-savage-340-matte
    http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=BQ14600

It should fit a 325B with no gunsmithing required as long as your action is drilled and tapped on the left side. The 325A/B/C models that I've seen have all been drilled from the factory...I think it was just the early 325 that wasn't.
  11. nate_eriksen

nate_eriksen New Member

thanks for the info! what scope would be recommended for a 30-30? i know its not a gun meant for a lot of range.
  12. always_learning

always_learning Member

The 325A/B/C models that I've seen have all been drilled from the factory...I think it was just the early 325 that wasn't. ~ Bindernut

I have a 340A that is tapped for the peep sight but not a scope. Since it's a 30-30 I personally don't have need for a scope. I do have the Williams Foolproof Peep Sight and put a hood on the front sight.

Nice shooter @ 100 yards.

The Stevens 325 I passed on wasn't drilled either.

340A.JPG