Stevens model 59A 410 shotgun

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by targetacqmgt, Sep 24, 2012.

1. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

All right I have very old 410 takes 2.5 or 3 inch. Bolt action.

1. how do you get the bolt out.

2. The weapon will not eject first round (unfired test round)

3. The second round will not go into the receiver feed cradle causing a jam. It looks like the cradle is still in the UP position (with the bolt back) and the 2nd round feeds UNDERNEATH the cradle.

Any help suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:D
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Real hard to tell what could be the problem. It could be gummed up with powder, carbon and dried up oil and needs a good cleaning...or something could be broken or bent in the action.

The 59a is more complicated in action than it had to be. I would remove it from the stock and have a good look around for the problem. If it's just dirty and you aren't comfortable doing a disassemble you could use some spray gun cleaner or a NON-chlorinated brake cleaner with the little spray tube attachment while it's out of the stock to get in there and clean it. Follow that with some spray gun oil.

The bolt can be removed by removing the "bolt stop screw" that is located on the left, near the center of the receiver. Remove it, bolt slides right out.

This link might be of some help to you for a picture and parts you may need.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=5568
  3. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Thanks good info
  4. GunHugger

Happy to help.:)

Post again if you need further help with it after you get in there and have a look.
  5. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Know any body from centeral PA say Shomokin??
  6. GunHugger

No, I don't but I think there's a member here from there. I can't remember who it is right now.
  7. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Well if his name is Pufnock he is kin to my step dad :D
  8. thelt

thelt New Member

There is a screw on the left side towards the top of the barrel. Take this screw out and the bolt will slide all the way out to the rear. To take the stock off of the action and barrel, turn the rifle upside down and take out the large screw in front of the trigger guard then just separate the two pieces.