Stevens model 87b 22 rimfire

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Rugermanws, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

If anyone has ever seen or heard of this rifle please reply. I have one and love the option to shoot single or semi by simply snapping in the bolt. I also saw Savage on the barrel. My uncle bought many things at Sears back in the day so I'd assume that this was bought there as well. Thanks for any help.
  2. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Savage based model. Savage Model 6 was the tube magazine, the Model 7 was clip fed. First produced in the 30's. The Model 7 was discontinued sometime after the war. The 6 continued into the 60's I believe. Also known as gill guns due to the fins found on the receiver adjacent to the chamber. I have a Model 6 and like it. Shoots pretty well.
  3. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

Steve you discribed the rifle perfectly. The one I have is a very good shooter. I haven't figured out how to throw a picture on here but I've never seen a bolt setup like this one has.
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I've got an 87B that looks a little rough but still one of the most accurate .22's I have. I just got another stock for it. The old girl needs it. The white line spacer and butt plate are not original.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Pictures please
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I guess I was editing to add one when you posted asking for them.:D
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

did u post picture?
  8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I thought I did. I see it anyway
  9. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

That's her alright. Mine has a scope and is a very good shooter.
  10. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

The cool thing about this rifle is that when the bolt is snapped inward it's a semi auto but if you snap the bolt outward it's a single shot. I never seen these before and thought it was different. As I stated it's a very good shooter and I'm glad I have it.
  11. steve99f

steve99f New Member

rugermanws,

As I live in the same state as yourself and are familair with the laws re semi auto rifles for hunting: I wonder what a warden would have to say about using these in small game season? "I swear to god, it was in bolt action mode."
  12. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

It didn't come from Sears marked as a Savage/Stevens. I like the fact that the bolt stays open until you release the trigger. It kinda freaks people out when they see it happen.:D
  13. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

I'd pull the bolt outward hand him the rifle and say show me how this is a semi...LOL
  14. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

I haven't shot this in years...... Alot of years and was oiling it all over and thought I broke something when the bolt did that. In fact I removed the wood stock and oiled the crap out of it thinking something must be stuck. Nothing stuck, I just forgot.
  15. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

I also have a very old JC Higgins with a Mauser bolt action and an old Remington both in 30-06. My dad who just pasted away on 06/07, which means this father's day isn't going to be good for me, gave me a very old .22 Marlin lever action that weights as much as the 30-06's. All of these rifles were rarely shot and I hope they stay with my family from generation to generation.
  16. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

The 87 series can be found marked "Savage", "Stevens" or "Springfield" (NOT the current Springfield Armory!) - mine is the Springfield M87A. Had the Stevens variant years ago, but was stolen. Very good shooter! Previous owner tried his hand at cutting a floral design in the stock (very badly!) and I was able to sand most of it out and refinish.
    People new to these rifles are surprised by the odd 'click...clack' action as it cycles - especially the bolt staying back til the trigger is released. Just takes getting used to.
    I love these old vintage twentytwo rifles! They generally outshoot the new ones. This Springfield easily outshoots my 21st century Ruger 10-22 and Marlin 60SB.
  17. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

That's not saying much.:D They are very accurate tho.
  18. awarmvic

awarmvic New Member

Can some one tell me that difference between a Stevens 87A and a Stevens 87B?
    Does anyone know where I can get an owners manual for the 87A or equivelent?
    The Stevens in one of my father in laws refles that I recieved after he passed.
    Thank you for any help you may be able render.
    Marry Christmas and Happy New Year.
    Sincerely,
    Daniel