The Firearms Forum banner

Stevens No. 10 Single-shot 22LR Questions

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Fatstrat 
#1 ·
New user here and love the wealth of information from all of the folks on this forum! Need some help on this old pistol I have pulled out of storage recently.
My grandpa (WWII vet) passed away 8 years ago and shortly after, my grandmother secretly gave me his pistol he had before the rest of the family could get to it.
I have had it for a long time now but never thought much about what it actually was until now. After some internet research, I have narrowed it down to a Stevens No.10 22LR target pistol made sometime in the early 1900s?
Here are some pics:
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

Pipe

Bumper

Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Revolver

Few questions I need some help on.
-From what I have read, it seems only 7000 were made so I can't figure out why serial number would be 8513?? Anyone have an idea of the year manufactured?
-It appears like center-fire ammo needs to be used. Is this readily available? When I was a younger ignorant fellow, I had tried many times to shoot rim-fire 22 ammo from it :eek: then considered it broken when it didn't work...
-Any cleaning tips for this "blueing" finish that won't damage it? Slight bit of rusting has started and I want to stop it in its tracks.
-Any place I could find a few replacement parts? Bolt spring is pretty weak.
-What could be the value of something like this if its cleaned up a bit? I have seen $150 to $1300 for some of the low number serials in some auctions.

Any help or related interesting history is much appreciated!!
Thanks,
-RJS

See less See more
#3 ·
It should be a rimfire. It looks like the firing pin has been hitting the bottom of the frame and may be damaged? Prices on the internet are around 200 to 275. 0000 steel wool and some light oil should take care of the rust. On some of these older guns the chamber is also damaged and may result in misfires.

#4 ·
Thanks Mike.
You guys are right. I did some better measuring and the pin is actually off center to hit the casing rim, it just looked deceiving with the wear circles centered around the pin when you look at it like this.
Belt Strap Material property Buckle Fashion accessory

Due to the weak spring, I'll bet it wasn't getting enough force to fire it back when I tried it. Needs a bit of attention.

Also, those dents in the metal are some damage from before I had it, unfortunately.
-RJS

#5 ·
The firing pin does look like it may be too close to the center causing a poor strike on the rim. It is also a large pin that looks like it may have a rounded point. This takes a heavier spring in order to get a good hit on the shell. A lot of 22 pins ate very narrow so the energy is transferred to the rim in a more efficient manor. The gun is repairable but a bit hard to fully diagnose simply by pictures. A good smith should have several ways to get the gun firing again. A good picture of a fired case from the back or at least one you tried to fire would be helpful in order to see what is going on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.